Q. What could be the reason for early light periods?

Dr. Ashwini Nanasaheb Talpe
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 18, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 08, 2020

I had sex continuously from 7th to 16th of this month with my husband. I am expecting my period on the 26th. I keep tracking my period, so I know when will be my next period. But today, on 21st I had my period. But, it is very light. Usually, I get my period with some symptoms like headache, neck pain, light cramps and heavy feel in my abdomen. Now, I did not get any of that. I did a home pregnancy test today, but it was negative. Then, what could be the reason of this? Do you think that I am pregnant? If so, then why am I bleeding?

#

• From your description, this type of bleeding pattern could be due to either implantation bleeding or hormonal imbalance.
  • Implantation bleeding is seen in early pregnancy. As you are due for period on 26th and had intercourse in the fertile period, there is a high possibility of getting pregnant.
  • But, urine pregnancy test cannot be positive so early. Please wait till 28th. If your periods did not come, then get one urine pregnancy test to rule out pregnancy.
  • Another option is that you can go for a blood test called as serum beta hCG on 24th to rule out pregnancy.
  • If the pregnancy test is negative, then it could be due to hormonal imbalance.
  • Please get a pelvic ultrasound done to rule out ovarian cyst, endometriosis, endometrial hyperplasia and cervical polyp. These conditions can give rise to irregular periods.
  • If the pregnancy test is positive and you do not want to continue pregnancy, then you can terminate pregnancy with pills.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|