Q. What is the cut-off value for ELISA test?

Dr. Arun R Kaushik
Published on Jul 03, 2017

I have some queries about HIV, ELISA/ECLIA TEST. What is the cut-off for this test? In some lab reports, they do not mention the cut off rate. They just mention if it is reactive or non-reactive. In some labs, 0.9 is the cut off while in others, it is different. Why is it so?

Dr. Arun R Kaushik

Critical Care Physician Geriatrics Microbiology
#

• The cut-off depends on the kit and the instrument used.

For more information consult a microbiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/microbiologist

If the result is 0.56 and the cut off is 0.9, does that mean the result is non-reactive? How should I interpret this result? If the result is 0.8, does it mean that the person is near the cut-off value hence at a higher risk? Or is any value below 0.9 considered out of risk?

Dr. Arun R Kaushik

#

• These tests are screening tests, and it is difficult to determine their accuracy.
  • If you have some concerns, you may need to do a molecular test like PCR to confirm the results.

How accurate is HIV-1 RNA, QL TMA?

Query: Hello doctor, Is HIV RNA, QL TMA accurate after 20 to 21 days of exposure? And also this came with my results. RNA is not detected. No laboratory evidence of HIV infection. The HIV-1 RNA qualitative TMA assay is recommended for use as part of a multi-test HIV-1/HIV-2 screening and diagnostic algori...  Read Full >>

Dr. Kakkar
Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. HIV RNA PCR test is accurate after 9 to 13 days after the risk exposure. It can be used to detect early infection with HIV when most other screening tests are not yet reliable. However, it is not a confirmatory test and an early screening with RNA PCR should be followed...  Read Full

Can HIV spread through a cut on a finger?

Query: Hello doctor,I have a query related to HIV. I had visited a massage parlor 57 days ago, where at the end I had fingered the masseuse for about one to one and a half minute and she performed a hand job (no other activities). I have a habit of biting my nail and the skin around the nail. The day befor...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The chance of transmission of HIV by the given description is almost nil. The wound in your finger (if at all present) most likely would have partially dried up. The skin is an effective barrier for HIV. The chances of transmission would be almost nil. The HIV RNA P...  Read Full

Ask a Microbiologist Now