Q. What is the cut-off value for ELISA test?

Dr. Arun R Kaushik

I have some queries about HIV, ELISA/ECLIA TEST. What is the cut-off for this test? In some lab reports, they do not mention the cut off rate. They just mention if it is reactive or non-reactive. In some labs, 0.9 is the cut off while in others, it is different. Why is it so?

#

• The cut-off depends on the kit and the instrument used.

For more information consult a microbiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/microbiologist

If the result is 0.56 and the cut off is 0.9, does that mean the result is non-reactive? How should I interpret this result? If the result is 0.8, does it mean that the person is near the cut-off value hence at a higher risk? Or is any value below 0.9 considered out of risk?

#

• These tests are screening tests, and it is difficult to determine their accuracy.
  • If you have some concerns, you may need to do a molecular test like PCR to confirm the results.

|