Q. Will HIV RNA, QL TMA be accurate after 21 days of exposure?

Dr. Kakkar

Is HIV RNA, QL TMA accurate after 20 to 21 days of exposure? And also this came with my results. RNA is not detected. No laboratory evidence of HIV infection. The HIV-1 RNA qualitative TMA assay is recommended for use as part of a multi-test HIV-1/HIV-2 screening and diagnostic algorithm. This assay can also be used to resolve indeterminate HIV-1 antibody assay results, and to test for HIV-1 infection in patients less than 2 years old. When a fourth generation HIV multi-test screening and diagnostic algorithm is used, if the test results include a repeatedly reactive HIV-1/2 antigen/antibody (fourth generation) screen, followed by negative confirmatory tests for HIV-1 and 2 antibodies and HIV-1 RNA by TMA, the most likely interpretation is a non-specific (biological false positive) reaction in the fourth generation screening assay. There is no current laboratory evidence of HIV infection. Repeat testing on a second specimen is not generally indicated but may be appropriate if there are known risk factors for recent HIV exposure. If the recent HIV-2 infection is suspected, additional testing by HIV-2 DNA or RNA, qualitative, real-time PCR should also be considered. Can someone explain this to me?

Do you have a question on Hiv Testing or Hiv Rna Pcr Test?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Kakkar

MBBS., MD
Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology

HIV RNA PCR test is accurate after 9 to 13 days after the risk exposure. It can be used to detect early infection with HIV when most other screening tests are not yet reliable. However, it is not a confirmatory test and an early screening with RNA PCR should be followed by a more sensitive and specific screening test, this is the fourth generation antigen-antibody HIV screening test at four weeks and at 12 weeks. Therefore, RNA PCR is quite useful in the detection of early infection. Other times this test can be useful as a second test after an indeterminate fourth generation HIV screening test or when a positive HIV screening test is followed by a negative confirmatory test (usually a western blot). In the second scenario, if RNA PCR turns up as negative then it suggests that an earlier positive screening test was most likely a false positive.

My last HIV risk exposure was three to four years back. Am I safe now?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 65-year-old white male and tested negative for HIV 1 and 2 in a one-time test three to four years ago. I am not sure if it was a third or fourth generation test. I tested negative with a fourth generation test four months back because I thought I might be having some symptoms. ...  Read Full »
Dr. Kakkar S
Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your test done before four months is certainly conclusive and final. A three months intervening period/window period between risk exposure and a fourth generation HIV screening test is good enough for it to be considered conclusive. 95 % of those infected with HIV will ...  Read Full »

What would happen if sweat or water dropped into the blood used for HIV testing?
Query: Hi doctor, I took OraQuick Advance Rapid HIV 1/2 antibody test today at a nearby clinic after waiting the window period for exposure of more than 90 days. I was told that the result was negative. My concern may be very paranoid and unnecessary; however, I am more curious than anything. I wanted to ...  Read Full »
Dr. Sushma Shah
HIV AIDS Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are not paranoid, but genius. Yes, anything in the blood may change the results, and that is why we advise sterile things. But, test results if positive never shows negative. HIV virus persists till it is in any wet medium. If blood dried, then no HIV virus persist....  Read Full »

Which HIV test can be done nine days after possible exposure?
Query: Hello doctor,I did deep kissing like nine days ago with a girl that had HIV. Of course, I knew that after. And while it was dark, I was kissing her body too but because I did not have condom we did not have sex. Is it possible to get HIV by kissing her body or contacts with a body rash or something ...  Read Full »
Dr. Kakkar S

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have noted your concern. Kissing is safe as far as the risk of HIV is concerned unless she had oral sores or bleeding gums which may increase the risk. Kissing on the skin is also not a risk. HIV is only transmitted through unprotected sex - either vaginal, anal ...  Read Full »

Ask a Doctor Now