Q. I tested negative for HIV, and my ELISA test score is 0. 32. Is there any chance of getting HIV?

Dr. Zubayeralam
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 10, 2020 and last reviewed on: Nov 25, 2020

I am a 30-year-old male. I had sex with a female with protection, but the protection broke, at last, this happened a month ago. I have done HIV duo antigen and antibody test. It came negative. Antibody ELISA test score of 0.32. Is my question that is there any chance of me getting HIV? And will this 0.32 score increase in the future?

#

Thanks for the query. I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you have been suffering from anxiety about sexual intercourse for the last month. You have done both antigen and antibody tests for HIV, which to become negative. Your antibody ELISA (Enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay) test score is 0.32. Viral load and p24 tests are not accurate for diagnosing early HIV (Human immunodeficiency virus). An HIV antibody response can be detected within two weeks, and 99.9% of people within 12 weeks. The antibody test for HIV at four weeks can determine 95% of infections. I think no chance is available for getting HIV infection, and 0.32 will not increase in the future. Take care. In case of any other query, ask me.

Thanks for your reply.

I am having red eyes and a mild headache from last week. Is this related to HIV symptoms? The test which I have done after one month. How much is the accuracy?

#

Thanks for joining us again. I have already sent my reply according to your query, but my answer is not shown here. Due to a technical fault, it may not reach you. HIV tests are between 99% and 100% accurate. Tri dot test detects HIV p24 and antibody, and it is very useful as HIV 4th generation ELISA. These become post after two to six weeks after being infected. However, HIV can be considered conclusive in ruling out HIV after three months of the suspected date of exposure. So you should undergo HIV rapid test after 12 weeks or three months of exposure for confirming the presence or absence of HIV infection in your blood. Again, symptoms like red eyes and a headache may result from migraine, sinusitis, cluster headache, allergic rhinitis, orbital infection, and inflammation. Flu and other underlying health conditions, etc., exclude the causes for your sufferings. So treat them accordingly. I hope I have answered your questions. Let me know if I can assist you further. And sorry for the late reply.

|