Q. What is the risk of HIV through fingering a vagina with a cut on my finger?

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti
Published on May 26, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 09, 2019

I have a query related to HIV. I had visited a massage parlor 57 days ago, where at the end I had fingered the masseuse for about one to one and a half minute and she performed a hand job (no other activities). I have a habit of biting my nail and the skin around the nail. The day before this exposure, I had a tiny cut on my index finger (it bled for four to six hours but very less blood 0.02 ml and there was no bleeding during the encounter). So, I got anxious and took an RNA PCR real time test on the 21st day and the result was 'target not detected (20 ml copies)'. Again, on the 28th day, I took HIV 1 and 2 and p24 CMIA method test, where the result was non-reactive and the index value was 0.08 and again took on the 45th day, the same HIV 1 and 2 and p24 CMIA test. The result was nonreactive (index value 0.12). My question is, still do I need to take further tests or move on with my life?

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti

Community Medicine Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Preventive Medicine Venereology
#

The chance of transmission of HIV by the given description is almost nil. The wound in your finger (if at all present) most likely would have partially dried up. The skin is an effective barrier for HIV. The chances of transmission would be almost nil.

The HIV RNA PCR test is negative after 12 days is conclusive enough. The antibodies tests are repeatedly negative. The chance of HIV test results coming positive later is nil.

But, it may be better to go for HIV antibodies tests after three months to have final conclusive results.

For more information consult a community medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/community-medicine-physician

Thanks for the update. Are HIV 1 and 2 and p24 CMIA fourth generation tests?

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti

#

Fourth generation tests include HIV 1 and 2 antibodies test and P24 antigen detection. You can get it done after three months post-exposure to have a final conclusive result.

hi doctor, I have taken hiv1 and 2 &p24 Cmia test yesterday that is 84 days (12 weeks) from the exposure and it is non-reactive and index value is 0.26 .. is it now conclusive and can I move on my normal life

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti

# Hi
Thank you for follow up query
It is negative and Conclusive provided you have no further risk exposure.
you can lead a normal life
Thanks doctor for the reassurance.. yes I don't have any other exposure even the one I said that was my first exposure and that will be the last one as these 12 weeks with too bad anxiety n guilty feelings. just came out.. final question, with Cmia test ,is it rolled out both hiv1 and 2 ? and the index value is 0.26 is nothing to do with my result right? thanks for your help doctor

Is immuno-concentration HIV test conclusive after 15 months of sexual exposure?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 25-year-old boy. I had a partner for past 2 to 3 years. We performed sex 6 to 7 times. Last was before 14 months and then had a break-up. Now I see that she is HIV positive. Now I fear about HIV because there is high risk and I want to marry another girl. My symptoms are a sore...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. Do not worry, I will solve your doubt. After around one year almost any test can rule out HIV conclusively. So rapid test is reliable and no need for further testing. But still, you have investigated with chemilumiscence test that gives re...  Read Full

How accurate is HIV-1 RNA, QL TMA?

Query: Hello doctor, Is HIV RNA, QL TMA accurate after 20 to 21 days of exposure? And also this came with my results. RNA is not detected. No laboratory evidence of HIV infection. The HIV-1 RNA qualitative TMA assay is recommended for use as part of a multi-test HIV-1/HIV-2 screening and diagnostic algori...  Read Full >>

Dr. Kakkar
Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. HIV RNA PCR test is accurate after 9 to 13 days after the risk exposure. It can be used to detect early infection with HIV when most other screening tests are not yet reliable. However, it is not a confirmatory test and an early screening with RNA PCR should be followed...  Read Full

Ask a Community Medicine Physician Now