Q. Is it normal to have occasional elliptocytes in a blood smear test in a 39-year-old male?

Dr. Goswami Parth Rajendragiri

I am a 39-year-old male, and I recently had a blood film investigation done which showed occasional elliptocytes. However, the CBC was unremarkable. My previous blood film report showed atypical lymphocytes and vacuolated neutrophils; hence I did a follow-up test. I am currently taking Crestor, Pregabalin, and Sotalol. I had dizziness, bloating, and chronic diarrhea in the past.

Kindly give me your opinion on my blood film report.

#

I went through your query and understood your concern.

The attached report is of hepatitis A, liver function test, and cholesterol (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity).

1. Your liver function test reports are within the normal range, so we can conclude that there is no derangement of liver function.

2. The cholesterol level is also within the normal range. So do not worry about these reports.

3. The hepatitis A antibody is positive, which suggests immunity to hepatitis A due to a past infection.

The attached report does not include CBC (complete blood count) report. Kindly attach for further opinion.

I hope I have answered your question.

Thank you for your reply.

I have attached my CBC reports.

Kindly give your opinion.

#

I have seen the attached report in which the peripheral smear report was also mentioned (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity). However, occasional elliptocytes do not suggest any specific pathological abnormality. So you need not worry about it.

I hope I have answered your question.

Kindly follow up if you have more doubts.

|