Q. What does it indicate when the A/G ratio is low at 0. 08 and globulin level high at 4. 3?

Dr. Mubashir Razzaq Khan
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

I got a bloodwork question. I had a wellness exam and was fasting for the bloodwork. I did a complete metabolic panel. My globulin level was high at 4.3, and the range was from 2.4 to 4.0. My A/G (albumin and globulin) ratio was low at 0.08, and the range is 1.0 to 1.8. The results were the same for the last two years, and my doctor also says it is normal, but I want a second opinion.

#

I am a hematologist with 20 years of experience. I hope you are doing well in the pandemic. Globulins are a group of proteins. It also includes antibodies which are part of an immune response. Globulins are raised during chronic inflammation, chronic bacterial infections like TB (tuberculosis), viral infections, and post vaccination conditions. AG ratio is a concern when albumin is low. If your albumin is fine, everything is normal. The range mentioned between 2.4 - 20 is just a strange reference. Below this is a problem. But about this is not necessarily a problem. Globulins are a problem when it is part of some malignant process like lymphomas are myeloma. In that case, it would rise to 2 to 3 folds of the upper limit of the reference ranges.

|