Q. What are the preventive measures I should take to avoid pregnancy?

Dr. Anindya Das
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 20, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 12, 2020

I am a 22 year old married female. One week before, I had intercourse with my husband and took an I-pill within 24 hours. But, we had unprotected sex on the next day morning. Would the pill be effective even if I had intercourse after consuming I-pill? If not, what are the preventive measures should I take for not getting pregnant? Please explain me.

Dr. Anindya Das

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Your question is very interesting.

• Practically speaking, the pill is for emergency and they are meant to provide protection from a single act of intercourse.
  • Moreover, I-pill does not give 100% protection. So, the second intercourse will increase the chance of pregnancy.
  • Now, regarding prevention you should have used a condom. The only option available now is to reuse emergency contraception if it is within 72 hours.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

Does it cause any health issue if I take I-pill twice in a month? Please explain me.

Dr. Anindya Das

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• Frequent use of emergency pill can cause irregularities in a period other than that usual nausea and vomiting will occur.
  • Moreover, remember the emergency pill is only for emergency and I think you will not like to meet emergencies very frequently. So you better shift to regular contraceptive methods.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|