Q. Took four Yasmin pills and skipped the next regimen. Will it stop unwanted pregnancy?

My fiancee took four Yasmin pills as emergency contraception. But after that, she felt so weak and had heavy breathing. So due to that, we decided not to take another four pills after 12 hours. Will the first four pills stop unplanned pregnancy? That was taken within less than 30 hours after we had sexual intercourse. Looking for your kind advice. She is feeling better now but I am afraid to continue with another four pills. Also, I have read that Yasmin can increase blood clot which can be deadly. Please advise.

#

Using Yasmin pills for emergency contraception follows the Yuzpe regimen where oral contraceptive pills are used as ECP within 72 hours of last intercourse. As the first four pills have been taken by her after 30 hours of intercourse as per the regimen, so the next should be taken after 12 hours and should not be missed. The side effects can vary from mild nausea to vomiting, headache, bloating, belching, breast tenderness or even spotting. These effects are secondary to Progesterone and Estrogen in the pills.

These can be countered by taking an anti-emetic pill like Metoclopramide10 mg, an hour before starting the regimen and also before the second dose after 12 hours. This shall prevent nausea and Progesterone side effects can be countered by increasing the water intake which can neutralize the Progesterone side effects. To help prevent you from feeling nauseous, one should take pills with food. It also helps if she would timer second dose such that she takes it just before bed. That way, she will sleep through nausea. The clotting is a known rare side effect of OC pills if OC pills are being used for years together for contraception, then predisposition for clotting increases.

But the regimen needs to be completed as per protocol to achieve the desired result. After taking the second dose, withdrawal bleeding should be expected in next 3 to 5 days and once bleeding is appreciated, it would indicate that there is endometrial shed and chances of pregnancy are minimal and she is likely to be pregnancy safe. The best would have been emergency contraceptive pills like an Ipill or Plan-B, but if it is banned in your country, Regimen is still a reliable means for emergency contraception with OC pills.

Emergency contraception through Yuzpe regimen.

Yuzpe regimen.

Also, she was taking Micropil Plus for myoma, for six months. Will that prevent pregnancy? Also if the second dose is delayed, does she need to start over?

#

If she was already on Micropill plus which is a combined oral contraceptive pill and that she has been regular and taking it daily during this cycle without any missed pills then there was no apparent requirement of taking Yasmin at all for emergency contraception as Micropill plus would have anyhow prevented any unplanned pregnancy in cases of unprotected intercourse.

So if she has been taking Micropill plus even during this cycle, till yesterday without fail, then she can continue and finish the pack after missing today's pill (as she has taken Yasmin, which was not required). Once she would finish the pack, the menses shall arrive as withdrawal bleed in next 4 to 5 days and then she can start fresh pack from day 2 or 3 of her next cycle. In this case, there is no need to take the second dose (four pills) of Yasmin now.

| 

Is it enough to take one Yaz pill after unprotected sex?

Query: Hi doctor, I had unprotected sex before two days. The next day, I took one Yaz pill. Do I need to take more pills? Will it be effective?  Read Full »

What happens to the unreleased follicle eggs in a PCOD patient?

Query: Hello doctor, I have PCOS. I want to know what happens to all these unreleased follicle eggs on ovaries? Why I have spotting after the period? And how can Yasmin help me? If it prevents ovulation so the number of follicle eggs would increase? What are the side effects once I get off Yasmin pills? C...  Read Full »

After taking ECP, I am bleeding. Am I pregnant?

Query: Hi doctor, I had my periods on the 15th of last month, and I had sex on 25th. I took emergency contraceptive pills on the 26th. I am bleeding today. Am I pregnant?  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»