Q. Please advice whether being very emotional is related to psychiatric behavior.

Dr. Shreemit Maheshwari

I am a female, 29 years old, Height 5'6", weight around 54 kg. I am not undergoing any treatment but want to know that whether being very emotional is related to psychiatric behavior or is it hereditary in anyway as my mother was not a totally mad person but required to undergo some treatment for a related disorder. Sometimes, I see a positive side of things but at times I am unable to control my anger, especially, if the person close to me ignores or hurts me. I am a mother of a toddler 2.5 years old having had my share of ups and downs in life that might be normal to anyone's life I guess but since my father's demise when I was in college, I felt like I have lost big support system. I find it difficult to let go of the hurtings of past which lead to some doubt in my mind looking at my mother's history if I am fine.

#

I would refrain from using the term mad as we do not consider anybody mad. Psychiatric conditions are just like any other medical illness with proper treatment of each condition. It is common for family members of psychiatric patients to also have a psychiatric illness but it is not transmitted. Kindly undergo a detailed evaluation if you feel you have anger issues or you feel very sad. If you do not have any symptoms or your functionality is good, nothing to worry about as family history does not automatically make you a patient.

For more information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

|