Q. Is it possible to get pregnant with 7. 6 mm of endometrial thickness?

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya

Kindly review the attached scan report of my pelvis and let me know if there is anything abnormal. This scan was done today, because I had a miscarriage nine months ago and the scan after miscarriage said that 13 mm of residue is being seen. The doctor confirmed that I need not worry as this will tear off in my subsequent menstrual cycles. Now doctor asked me to get the scan done to see whether everything is fine as I am trying to conceive again. Thank you.

#

From your query I understood that you have a previous history of miscarriage and a follow up scan showed a 13 mm endometrium thickness.

A 13 mm endometrium thickness is borderline, which means you may or may not have required a surgical evacuation at that time.

Also, endometrial thickness is not a valuable guide and we consider the clinical parameters like bleeding per vagina as more important for opting evacuation.

I have gone through your recent ultrasonography report (attachment removed to protect patient identity) where endometrium is 7.6 mm. It is fine and I must say you it has nothing related with your previous poor pregnancy outcome.

Both the ovaries are also normal and this is essentially a normal scan report.

• Could you elaborate me whether you have any associated disorders as evidenced in your past case history?
  • If such a case then you need a detailed treatment of those conditions first. Otherwise, there is a possibility of another similar mishap.
  • If you are fit at present then just start to have Folic acid 5 mg tablets once a day. This will help your pregnancy against developing few congenital anomalies.

Blood for Hb gm% (hemoglobin), TC (total blood cell count), DC (differential count), platelet, LFT (liver function tests), total cholesterol, urea, creatinine, FBS (fasting blood sugar) and PPBS (postprandial blood sugar).

Preconception counseling.

Tablet Folvite 5 mg (Folic acid) once a day.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Thanks for the response. Would endometrium of 7.6 mm cause any problem for me in future pregnancy? Please let me know. Why am I supposed to go for the above investigations? There was not any associated disorder in my previous miscarriage. I was in 5th week when that mishap happened. My periods are regular and we are trying since last two months. But, we do not have enough luck to hear any good news. Hence, thought of meeting a gynecologist.

#

An endometrium thickness of 7.6 mm is fine according to the day of cycle you have done the USG (ultrasonography).

This thickness is different from the previous endometrial thickness of miscarriage. As I told you, there is no relationship. For conception, you need a thick endometrium.

• Do not get demoralized only after two months of trying. You should try for at least six to nine months before opting for an obstetrician and gynecologist consultation.
  • You need not have to do those tests if you are disease free. I have only enumerated those as I have seen some diseases in your past diagnosis history. Just start the Folvite tablet.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|