Q. I have severe period pain. Is it because of endometriosis? What is the treatment?

Answered by
Dr. Vidya
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 08, 2017

Hi doctor,

My girlfriend has severe period pains that are certainly endometriosis. Her recent scan showed endometrium was 16 mm thick. She has crippling pains, and she is completely immobile during her period, and sometimes in between. It is getting worse month by month. She is infertile. It is painful going to the toilet when on her period. She often has migraines. She has huge agonizing pain, that does not feel better with Ibuprofen or Paracetamol. The pain starts two days before her period and majority of it ending 1 to 2 days after she starts bleeding. She describes the pain as an extremely heavy weight pushing down on her abdomen, vagina, and bottom.

This is happening from the past 6 to 7 years, but it is getting worse over the past 6 to 7 months. A local doctor prescribed Clotrimazole and Tinidazole. I personally think a Progesterone cream is the best course of action, yet it interferes with the Clotrimazole, so I do not know what course of action to take. We did try the Minidril pill, but it messed up her hormones pretty bad, and she started feeling suicidal, so we stopped. The pain has started happening midway through her cycle now and is getting worse and worse. She becomes completely immobile, not even able to get herself to the toilet, and I have to carry her. I will attach the ultrasound scans so you can see for yourself. Unfortunately, the imagery is the best we have. Please let me know what you think the best course of treatment we should try without having to see a gynecologist.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

I did go through the ultrasound report (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Although it reads normal, endometriosis is a laparosocpic or operative finding. The symptoms she has correlates with the condition. She may be helped with hormonal medicines.

However, in cases which do not respond, surgery is needed. A laparoscopy-guided surgery, which includes removal of the endometriotic nodule and breakage of adhesions may help followed by oral contraception pills for few months.


For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Hello doctor,

Thank you for your answer. We would like to avoid surgery at first if possible, so can you recommend what would be best to do out of the two options I listed previously, please? Should we stop the Clotrimazole and Tinidazole and start with the Progesterone cream? Or should we use them both together or stick with the Clotrimazole and Tinidazole?



Welcome back to icliniq.com.

Try using Progesterone cream first, under medical guidance for three to six months.

For further queries consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Was this answer helpful?


Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

I have lower pelvic pain before periods due to hydrosalpinx. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I developed right lower pelvic pain and was asked to do an ultrasound and diagnosed with the presence of hydrosalpinx 10 months ago and took antibiotic for two weeks. From then on I am suffering from right lower pelvic pain that pulls my veins till knee. It begins paining 10 days befor...  Read Full »

Is it possible to conceive naturally after endometriosis surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 30 year old female. I have been trying to conceive for a year with endometriosis on ovary. My husband is 32 and normal. My AMH is 1.85. I am planning to get laparoscopic surgery. Can laparoscopic surgery reduce my AMH further more? What should I do?  Read Full »

Also Read

COVID-19 Vaccines
A COVID-19 vaccine provides acquired immunity against the new Coronavirus. Read the article to know everything about the...  Read more»
Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Obstetrician & Gynaecologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.