Q. Why do I have chronic pain in my right pelvic region after undergoing a partial hysterectomy?

Dr. Manwani Saloni Dilip
and medically reviewed by Dr. Infanteena Marily
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 22, 2022 and last reviewed on: Mar 28, 2022

I have had chronic pain in the right pelvic region for over a year, and it feels like I have been kicked in the rear. I had a partial hysterectomy 14 years ago. I am a 49-year-old who had a cyst in my ovaries. Also, I have a history of endometriosis. I got two ultrasonography investigations done last year. I also had fluid in the pouch of Douglas. On my general practitioner's advice, I got a CT scan (computed tomography) of the pelvic region, thinking there could be a problem related to the appendix. This has been going on for over the last two months. I used to have pain in the right pelvic region upto the right hip region. Now, it has started to radiate upto the right abdomen. Is this severe endometriosis? Currently, I am taking tablet Ambien and tablet Xanax. Earlier, I was taking the tablet Orilissa for the problem of endometriosis.

#

From the above-mentioned symptoms, it could be endometriosis. However, it can be confirmed only after knowing the description of the cysts on ultrasonography and CT scan (computed tomography). Hemorrhagic cysts are generally a feature of endometriosis. Fluid in the pouch of Douglas could be due to pelvic inflammatory disease. Do you have any history of endometriosis?

Thank you for your reply.

I got it done before 14 years. It was found in the bowel and the report showed a simple cyst of 5 mm. I am in the postmenopausal phase, yet I am having to live with chronic pelvic pain that has started affecting my daily life.

#

A simple cyst is less likely to be due to endometriosis and would not cause chronic pelvic pain. The pain must be due to the residual endometriotic disease. Menopause can halt the progression of the disease, but the existing lesions can persist. I suggest you to try some medical treatment or ablative therapy for endometriosis.

|