Q. Why do I have chronic pain in my right pelvic region after undergoing a partial hysterectomy?

Answered by
Dr. Manwani Saloni Dilip
and medically reviewed by Dr. Infanteena Marily
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 22, 2022 and last reviewed on: Mar 28, 2022

Hello doctor,

I have had chronic pain in the right pelvic region for over a year, and it feels like I have been kicked in the rear. I had a partial hysterectomy 14 years ago. I am a 49-year-old who had a cyst in my ovaries. Also, I have a history of endometriosis. I got two ultrasonography investigations done last year. I also had fluid in the pouch of Douglas. On my general practitioner's advice, I got a CT scan (computed tomography) of the pelvic region, thinking there could be a problem related to the appendix. This has been going on for over the last two months. I used to have pain in the right pelvic region upto the right hip region. Now, it has started to radiate upto the right abdomen. Is this severe endometriosis? Currently, I am taking tablet Ambien and tablet Xanax. Earlier, I was taking the tablet Orilissa for the problem of endometriosis.



Welcome to

From the above-mentioned symptoms, it could be endometriosis. However, it can be confirmed only after knowing the description of the cysts on ultrasonography and CT scan (computed tomography). Hemorrhagic cysts are generally a feature of endometriosis. Fluid in the pouch of Douglas could be due to pelvic inflammatory disease. Do you have any history of endometriosis?

Hello doctor,

Thank you for your reply.

I got it done before 14 years. It was found in the bowel and the report showed a simple cyst of 5 mm. I am in the postmenopausal phase, yet I am having to live with chronic pelvic pain that has started affecting my daily life.



Welcome back to

A simple cyst is less likely to be due to endometriosis and would not cause chronic pelvic pain. The pain must be due to the residual endometriotic disease. Menopause can halt the progression of the disease, but the existing lesions can persist. I suggest you to try some medical treatment or ablative therapy for endometriosis.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
I have pelvic pain, and my left leg is numb and tingly. Can it be an anxiety attack?

.. to evaluate stroke with such description. This could be an anxiety attack, but ruling out stroke is utmost important. In such a case, I would recommend you to go to a nearby ER and get evaluated clinically. If they find any evidence of stroke, t...   Read full

I have pelvic pain for the second time in five years. Please suggest a treatment.

Your history suggests that you have a chronic mild to moderate inflammation of the pelvic organs, most probably the urinary bladder ... Ultrasonography of the abdomen and pelvis, especially of the kidneys, ureter, ...   Read full

Is hysterectomy necessary for uterine fibroid?

For the past four and a half years I have been suffering from menorrhagia and metrorrhagia due to a fibroid ... At this juncture, I just got an endometrium biopsy and an ultrasound to monitor the size of the ...   Read full


Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Management of Coronasomnia
Coronasomnia refers to increased sleep problems among people during the COVID-19 pandemic. Read the below article to get...  Read more»
Balantidiasis - Causes, Signs and Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Balantidiasis is a rare bacterial infection caused by a parasite called Balantidium coli. Read the article below to know...  Read more»
JAK Inhibitors in Treating Rheumatoid Arthritis
Doctors mainly suggest JAK or Janus kinase inhibitors for patients with rheumatoid arthritis to ease their symptoms. Rea...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Obstetrician & Gynaecologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.