Q. My son is 22 months old and adenoid problem. Can he get surgery now or should we wait?

Dr. Deepak Patel

Sir, My son is 22 months old. He has problem of adenoid. We have recognised it from his 6 months of age and started giving medicines. But whenever he gets cold or fever it is very difficult for him to take breathe. He used to breath through his mouth and always open his mouth while sleeping. We have consulted 3 to 4 doctors and everyone suggested surgery for him. But some of them suggested us to wait till the age of 3 years.From the last 4 months he is having Telekast 4 and Momeflo nasal spray and he feels little difference. But he frequently gets cold and fever.He has no hearing problem due to this. we have made hearing test for him. Can you please give your suggestion whether we have to wait till 3 years or do his surgery immediately.

#

hi, welcome to this forum. Can understand your concerns point If child has respiratory distress during sleep, or if the symptoms of cold and cough are increasing as the child is growing, then immediate surgery is required. the adenoids continue to enlarge till 5 year of age and after that they start to shrink in size. If surgery is done earlier than chances of regrowth are there. if symptoms are not increasing and if there is no respiratory distress during sleep then you should wait for 3 years for adenoidectomy. I hope this will help you. Wishing your child good health take care.

|