Q. My CT shows numerous pericecal enlarged lymph nodes. Can this be colon cancer?

Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Enlarged Lymph Node or Ibs? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I just want to start off by saying that I am a 24-year-old male. I have been diagnosed with IBS in the past, and for about a good seven months I have had stomach issues on and off. Nothing serious, no weight loss or any large amounts of blood in the stool. I had one CT scan the first time six months ago and my abdomen was fine. I did one about a month ago, and they found numerous pericecal enlarged lymph nodes measuring up to 12 mm that may represent mesenteric adenitis. I am afraid that this is stage 4 colon cancer. All my GI doctors think it is not necessary to do a colonoscopy, and that I am too young to have anything wrong with me and it is probably nothing. I did just find out that I had a grandfather who had a blockage in colon a very long time ago but received no cancer treatment for it. Should I consult a GI doctor? Are this grounds for concern?