Q. My CT shows numerous pericecal enlarged lymph nodes. Can this be colon cancer?

Published on Aug 30, 2019

I just want to start off by saying that I am a 24-year-old male. I have been diagnosed with IBS in the past, and for about a good seven months I have had stomach issues on and off. Nothing serious, no weight loss or any large amounts of blood in the stool. I had one CT scan the first time six months ago and my abdomen was fine. I did one about a month ago, and they found numerous pericecal enlarged lymph nodes measuring up to 12 mm that may represent mesenteric adenitis. I am afraid that this is stage 4 colon cancer. All my GI doctors think it is not necessary to do a colonoscopy, and that I am too young to have anything wrong with me and it is probably nothing. I did just find out that I had a grandfather who had a blockage in colon a very long time ago but received no cancer treatment for it. Should I consult a GI doctor? Are this grounds for concern?

Critical Care Physician Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Gastroenterology Nephrology Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors) Rheumatology
#

See as such mesenteric lymphadenitis does not directly represent colon cancer. It is very commonly seen post infection. So what we do is that we give antibiotics for seven days and later repeat an ultrasound abdomen after one month to check for the size of lymph nodes. If size are decreasing in size we simply wait and watch. Actually, these lymph nodes if once increased in size may take weeks to months to come down to normal size.

Even you do not have any symptoms of colon cancer. However, your suspected family history should make us little concern. So I would recommend you to take a Gastroenterologist consultation and simply get a stool for occult blood done. If this test comes out to be positive then you would need a colonoscopy.

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) - Symptoms, Causes and Treatment

Article Overview: Irritable bowel syndrome is one of the annoying gastrointestinal tract diseases because of the chronic nature of the disease and the variety of symptoms that can interfere with your daily life. Read Article

Dr. Mahmoud Abdallah Elashkar

Irritable bowel syndrome is a functional disturbance of colonic motility without organic causes. IBS is characterized by abdominal pain and altered bowel habits. Causes:  Unknown, but psychological disturbance plays a role. Symptoms: IBS is known to have a long history with long interval pe...  Read Article

Are my problems related to liver, spleen or colon cancer?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 26 years old male. My weight is 244 lb and height is 5 feet 10 inches tall. I have anxiety for almost three years now. I read almost everyday about cancers and my symptoms. I had a blood test six months back and everything came back good besides the white blood cells which were 11.3...  Read Full >>

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concerns. I will explain some facts. Most cancers are painless and cause gradually progressive symptoms like for example: Jaundice and liver function failure in case of liver cancer. Enlarged spleen with anemia and low platelet and low white cells ...  Read Full

Can Hashimoto's disease cause enlarged lymph nodes?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 30 year old female. I have Hashimoto's hypothyroidism since four years. I take Eltroxin daily and go for a thyroid sonar once a year. I went for an ultrasound yesterday and my report stated that my thyroid features are consistent with Hashimoto's thyroiditis. But, what reall...  Read Full >>

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query and from the reports you have attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it appears that you do have some enlarged lymph nodes. Yes, there are two possibilities but it is more likely that these are due to: The upper respiratory tr...  Read Full