Colon Cancer

My CEA values are increasing while on chemotherapy. Why?

Query: Hello doctor,On chemotherapy, CEA is rising. The patient had colon cancer surgery last year and was in the third stage. A PET scan showed one metastasis in the liver of 16 mm and one distant node. The chemotheraphy was started last year. CEA is rising instead of decreasing. The CEA values were 9.8, ...  Read Full »

Dr. Jaydeep Tripathy

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Stage III colon cancer will have elevated CEA (carcinoembryonic antigen) levels. However, following surgery and on chemotherapy, it should gradually come down. 10 is not very high. Still, post-surgery the standards should have been around six. Now since it is increas...  Read Full »

What causes enlarged pericecal lymph nodes?

Query: Hello doctor, I just want to start off by saying that I am a 24-year-old male. I have been diagnosed with IBS in the past, and for about a good seven months I have had stomach issues on and off. Nothing serious, no weight loss or any large amounts of blood in the stool. I had one CT scan the first ...  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. See as such mesenteric lymphadenitis does not directly represent colon cancer. It is very commonly seen post infection. So what we do is that we give antibiotics for seven days and later repeat an ultrasound abdomen after one month to check for the size of lymph nodes. ...  Read Full »

My mother had undergone laparotomy. Please advice on her biopsy reports.

Query: Hello doctor,My mother has been operated two months before. She was suffering from constipation, and the doctor found a tumor in the CT scan. Some operation called laparotomy was done. After that, she is fine now. The stool is passing through the stoma. After the biopsy report, I have been asked to ...  Read Full »

Dr. Dinesh Kumar

Surgical Oncologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. So she has colonic carcinoma. As you told, she is passing stool through the stoma, that gives me the impression that probably she was not surgically fit at the time of surgery to complete operation in one stage. As per the cancer stage, she needs to undergo cancer ch...  Read Full »

I had an abdomen CT scan with contrast. Would colon cancer be seen on pelvic CT scan?

Query: Hello doctor,I have been having some chronic abdominal discomfort in my stomach, and occasionally in my chest for several weeks. Also irritable bowels. Before this, I took a six-week course of Ampicillin for what was perceived to be prostatitis. Had an abdomen CT scan with contrast because of testic...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I do not know why you are getting worried about colon cancer? These are not symptoms of colon cancer. As far as your query is concerned, colon cancer may or may not be detected on CT scan based on the stage of cancer. But in most cases, one can see abnormal growth ov...  Read Full »

Other than colonoscopy, what are the tests used to rule out colon or rectal cancer?

Query: Hi doctor, I have hemorrhoids for a few years. My doctor has suggested me a colonoscopy to rule out cancer. Is there any simple test available to rule out colon or rectal cancer? Please mention an opinion regarding stool occult blood test.  Read Full »

Dr. Rajesh Gulati

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Geriatrician, Medical Oncologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. First of all, you get an MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) abdomen done. You can have a presence of mass when you have a colon or rectal cancer. If there is a mass seen, then you can do a colonoscopy. You can also do a CEA (carcinoembryonic antigen) as CEA show an increa...  Read Full »

Kindly clarify if I am suffering from any cancer or liver disease.

Query: Hi doctor, I am an 18 year old male. For the last three weeks, I have been having the urge to poop. But, only mucus would come out. I have had blood tests and stool samples taken and everything was normal except the following. I had a high lymphocyte count of 3.3, high bilirubin count of 1.6 and low...  Read Full »

Dr. Happykumar Kagathara

Medical Gastroenterologist, Surgical Gastroenterologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The symptoms of colon cancer are blood in stool, altered bowel habit that is intermittent constipation and diarrhea, mild and occasional abdominal pain (depending on the site of the cancer), decrease appetite and weight loss. Mucus in stool either indicates inflammatory b...  Read Full »

Can iron deficiency anemia be improved with supplements in stomach or colon cancer patient?

Query: Hi doctor, A week ago I made a complete blood test to check whether my iron deficiency was improving. I have used B12 and Iron supplements. In addition to this, the doctor told me that I had a UTI and gave me pills. Though UTI did not seem like it has gone away, and another thing is that, after I a...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have reviewed your query and here is my advise. Your attached report (attachment removed to protect patient identity) showing improvement in iron parameters and hemoglobin level. So your anemia is improving. Read below answers for your questions: In stomach cance...  Read Full »

Does the CT scan mean any infective or neoplastic etiology?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother had CT scan done today and report says following: Lobulated hypodense SOL's in the peritoneal cavity in the left paracolic region measuring 5.6x3.8 cm and 3.0x3.0 cm, with mild perilesional fat stranding. Infective or neoplastic etiology? The doctor thinks it is cancer tumor...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. In CT scan report (attachment removed to protect patient identity), space occupying lesion is present. Hence malignancy has to be ruled out here. For that CT or USG-guided biopsy has to be taken and send it for histopathology examination. By histopathology report, t...  Read Full »

I have blood coming out of stool once a month. Is it cancer?

Query: Hi doctor, I have periodic blood coming out of my stool once a month for the last one year. It is very periodic and is not regular. Along with that, I recently developed frequent indigestion and stomach burning sensation. I do have a history of gastric issues though. Now, I am really confused if I ...  Read Full »

Dr. Arshad Hussain Shah

Medical Oncologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern as bleeding along with stool (bleeding per rectum) is a major concern for any individual. Do not worry much as there are more noncancerous causes of bleeding per rectum than cancerous causes in your age group. So, you need thorough inves...  Read Full »

69-year old smoker diagnosed with colon cancer. Does she need chemotherapy?

Query: Hi doctor, My mom is 69 years old, smoker and she was diagnosed with colon cancer. She used to suffer from her stomach pain and we ended up doing a colonoscopy for it and the doctor found a tumor. We need to know what is the best way to help her and what is recommended in her case? Should the docto...  Read Full »

Dr. Arshad Hussain Shah

Medical Oncologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the reports of your mother (attachment removed to protect patient identity). As per reports she has a sigmoid colon cancer. There is no distant spread of cancer (not spread outside colon) as per CT scan reports. The report is also showing multiple re...  Read Full »