Q. My daughter had a seizure. She bit her tongue and urinated. Does she have epilepsy?

Dr. Ajay Panwar
Published on Sep 23, 2015 and last reviewed on: Jan 30, 2019

Please help! I am so upset. My daughter had a seizure. She had one 7 months ago too. We thought it was syncope, but now we think it is a seizure. She had CAT scan, blood work, and EKG and all the reports are fine. We saw a neurologist, and he said everything seemed all right. He gave her an overall examination, no other tests though. This time she bit her tongue and also urinated. She got sick when we got home from emergency room too.

Do we have to take her back to the neurologist? Does she have epilepsy?

Dr. Ajay Panwar

Internal Medicine Neurology
#

I have gone through your daughter's comprehensive medical history written by you.

Tongue bite and urination indicate that these episodes are seizures. The probable diagnosis would be epilepsy.

Tongue bite is not seen in syncope, though urinary incontinence may be rarely observed.

I suggest that she should be put on empirical antiepileptic therapy and observed for response. I wish her a good therapeutic response to medicines.

Antiepileptic medicines.

Could it be a really serious reason like brain tumor? Also she was in movie theatre and watching a scary movie during the second episode and in a room at school called black box room. Could such an environment cause issues? What are the chances of her having another episode before we see the neurologist?

Dr. Ajay Panwar

Internal Medicine Neurology
#

Here are answers to your queries:

As CT Scan has turned out to be normal, it is unlikely to be a brain tumor. However, ideal neuroimaging investigation in epilepsy is MRI of the brain. If possible, please get done a 'MRI of the brain with epilepsy protocol'.

Environment (as you have mentioned watching a scary movie) should not be the primary cause.

It is hard to comment upon chances. She may get another anytime. It is better to start the treatment as soon as possible. You may request your neurologist for an early appointment.

How to prevent seizure attack?

Query: Hi doctor,I am a seizure patient. Please give me some suggestion to recover from this seizure. Also, how to stop further seizure attacks?  Read Full »

Can sinus infection cause seizures?

Query: Hello doctor, I am writing to get a second opinion for my relative. He is a 19 year old male. He had a seizure last year and the second seizure was on last week. His EEG was normal and also had an MRI. The doctors said that he has chronic sinusitis with thickened mucosa and they started giving him...  Read Full »

Are Absence Seizures Absolutely Risky?

Article Overview: Previously known as petit mal seizures, this type of seizure is more commonly seen in children. Let us read on to know how it can be managed effectively in everyday life. Read Article

Dr. Vasantha K S

A seizure is caused by a brief period of abnormal electrical activity (electrical impulses) in a person's brain. An absence seizure has a generalized onset, meaning, it starts on both sides of the brain simultaneously. In this type, there is a sudden loss of awareness characterized by blank staring ...  Read Article