Q. Is multiple sclerosis the right diagnosis for him?

Dr. Aida Quka
Published on Feb 03, 2018

My 66-year-old father who is a retired school teacher was having a cold and cough for 10 days. One month back, he developed slurred speech and blurred vision, double vision, giddiness, imbalance, nasal intonation of voice, hypertension. Blood pressure was fluctuating. As per him, symptoms were more in the morning and improved gradually as the day passed by. There was no headache, vomiting, seizure, loss of control, bowel or bladder incontinences. CT of the brain done at first was reported as a left external capsular infarct.

An MRI done revealed prominent right cavernous sinus to correlate for significance there is age-related cerebral atrophy with white matter changes. Doctors first doubted MG then MS. Neostigmine test came negative. He was started on an antibiotic, a course of IV methylprednisolone, lipid-lowering agent, PPI and supportive. Blood parameters showed raised TC, RFT, uric acid, SGOT, SGPT. CSF analysis showed raised protein and TC. With treatment, a bit of improvement was seen but not substantial.

Ten years ago, he was diagnosed with retrobulbar neuritis. Doctors are more or less supposing it to be MS and gave a further course of prednisolone of 20 mg and Atorvastatin 20 mg tablets along with those for hypertension, cough and acidity and advised to take care about the blood pressure. There are no definitive answers or assurances. What should we do? Please help.

Dr. Aida Quka

Neurology
#

Your father's symptoms are not typical of MG (myasthenia gravis). I would exclude MS (multiple sclerosis) due to his age and MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) findings although his past history of optic neuritis.

A stroke cannot be excluded although I would directly review his MRI for a more professional opinion. Are white matter changes enhanced by gadolinium?

Lambert-Eaton syndrome could mimic this clinical situation too.

I would recommend also checking any malignancies.

For this reason, it is necessary performing a chest X-ray study and an abdominal ultrasound coupled with tumoral antigens like CEA (carcinoembryonic antigen), CA (cancer antigen) 19.9 and PSA (prostate-specific antigen) levels.

For more information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

What is the chance of multiple sclerosis in pars planitis?

Query: Hi doctor, I have had burning sensations on my skin since 14 years. I am also very much sensitive to touch, which feels like my entire body is bruised all over. It is so hard to explain, but that is the best way I can put it into words. I feel inflamed all over at times. I had a brain MRI before ...  Read Full »

What is the reason for having double vision and is it preventable?

Query: Hi doctor, I experienced double vision in a 100-mile trail run around 18 hours into the race. The double vision cleared after 20 minutes of closing my eyes in the medical tent. After a week, I saw an ophthalmologist who did a few tests and concluded that it was eye fatigue. I experienced double vis...  Read Full »

Are Absence Seizures Absolutely Risky?

Article Overview: Previously known as petit mal seizures, this type of seizure is more commonly seen in children. Let us read on to know how it can be managed effectively in everyday life. Read Article

Dr. Vasantha K S

A seizure is caused by a brief period of abnormal electrical activity (electrical impulses) in a person's brain. An absence seizure has a generalized onset, meaning, it starts on both sides of the brain simultaneously. In this type, there is a sudden loss of awareness characterized by blank staring ...  Read Article