Q. What is the treatment for ERM in a 59-year-old?

Dr. Prashant Koranmath
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Sep 17, 2019

My mother is 59-years-old. Her height 5'2 and weight 66. She has ERM in eyes, and so, she is not able to see correctly. She has done the OCT test twice this year.

1. Observed ERM in both eyes.

2. ILM RPE central subfield thickness is 387.

3. Cube volume is 12.1.

4. Cube average thickness is 338.

Dr. Prashant Koranmath

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

She has problem in macular region in which there is decreased vision mostly central vision. Epiretinal membrane has thickened on the retina. Most cases improve on medication. Of vision is degrading. It has to be surgically corrected by doing vitrectomy intraretinal membrane peeling, where the inner gelly like substance is removed and the thickened membrane on retina which is causing problem is peeled off. The vision improves gradually.

Aging.

Amsler grid, Oct (optical coherence tomography), FA (Fluorescein angiography).

Macular hope, macular oedema, parafoveal telengiectasia.

Macular pucker.

Vitrectomy and ILM (intraretinal membrane) peeling.

Please advise the treatment for my mother's eye problem from the OCT report.

Query: Hello doctor, My mother is 60 years old. She has diabetes and high blood pressure for the past 10 years. Recently, her vision in the right eye was deteriorated. Her doctor did retina OCT and fluorescein angiography. I consulted two other doctors. The first one said that she needs three doses of Luce...  Read Full >>

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have reviewed the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your mother seems to have BRVO (branch retinal vein occlusion) with macular edema. The treatment is two-fold. The treatment of the eye. Control of systemic conditions like blood pressure and ...  Read Full