Q. I felt some pain when I put my contact lens. Why?

Dr. Arnab Pal
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

Today morning, when I was putting my contact lens, I felt some pain on the side of my eye. The pain went away after a minute, but the white area on one side of my eye looks red. I do not have any problem or blurry vision. What is this? Note that, when I put my contact lens in, I will always (for 20 years) put the contact into the corner of my eye and then push it over to the center. I have also been concerned about having some autoimmune issues. Could this be related?

#

I have seen the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity) of your eyes. I must congratulate you on the excellent quality of the image. Has such redness occurred before? Going by the picture, it seems there is sectoral congestion of your eyes white, also called sectoral episcleritis. If it is recurrent, it can be related to autoimmune diseases you are concerned with. If this is the first time, then you need not worry. Also, there is another possibility, it might be an immune reaction to the contact lens or contact lens solution. Sterile infiltrates along the limbus can cause such redness. Also, there seem to be areas of neovascularisation along with the peripheral cornea, which is very common in long term CL usage as yours. Either way, I would advise,

1. Stop using contact lens for one-week at least.

2. Eye drop Zylopred (Gatifloxacin and Loteprednol) one drop four times per day in the affected eye for one week.

3. Eyedrop Carboxymethylcellulose or Systane Ultra (Polyethylene glycol and Propylene glycol) one drop four times per day in both eyes for one month. I am sure you will be fine in a week or so.

Thanks.

|