Q. How to rule out the cause for erectile dysfunction?

Dr. Duraisamy Palanisamy
This is a premium question & answer published on May 21, 2016 and last reviewed on: Mar 07, 2020

I am a 46 year old male. My weight is 75 kg and height is 6 feet. I do not have diabetes and BP. I have asthma which is under control. I am facing problems in getting erections. It is getting worse with time. I tried some treatments for depression and practiced relaxation techniques with no success. My erectile dysfunction problem is there during each sexual activity. The problem started some five years ago. I used to take Viagra 50 mg. The result was good initially but the hardness lasts only for 30 minutes maximum. I could not bear the side effects like headache and face swelling. Even that tablet is not working for me recently. My problem reached to unmanageable levels recently. I get early morning erections. I would like to be treated for this. I would like to know what tests to be done for identifying hormonal or any other deficiency. I will provide any other information as required. Thank you.

#

I understand your problem.

• You cannot find any immediate result for your problem. Because, erectile dysfunction is a chronic problem.
  • It may be due to age or hormonal change, psychologic, etc. We have to rule out common problems first.
  • If everything is there then we have to rectify that. If not then go for step by step.
  • Your confidence and cooperation is must there. Continuous usage of Viagra (Sildenafil) is not advisable.
  • I will write the common hormonal tests first. After results, we will go further.
  • Tests have to be taken are hemoglobin, FBS (fasting blood sugar), PPBS (postprandial blood sugar), urea, creatinine, lipid profile, LFT (liver function tests), T3, T4, TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone), serum testosterone, ultrasound of whole abdomen and penile Doppler.

Revert back with the reports to a sexologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/sexologist

|