Q. I get a poor erection for the past 10 days. Is this due to Finasteride or excess masturbation?

Dr. Rahul Kansal
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 14, 2020 and last reviewed on: Nov 28, 2020

I am a 26-year-old unmarried male. I used Finasteride tablets for the last two years for hair loss. I stopped Finasteride before two months, and I get an erection problem for ten days. My penis loses its erection within a minute after masturbating. I am not getting an erection as before. I am masturbating regularly for the last 13 years. And for the past one year, I masturbate twice or thrice a day. I do not know the erection problem is because of Finasteride or over-masturbation? Is this curable? What is the solution to get my erection back? Please guide.

Dr. Rahul Kansal

Andrology Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Psychotherapy Sexology
#

Finasteride can lower testosterone levels. Masturbation affects you psychologically more than physically.

Before moving directly to any treatment, kindly follow the advice given below.

You are indeed developing signs of ED (erectile dysfunction) and PME (premature ejaculation). You also suffer from excessive masturbation guilt. Around 90% of males start masturbation before the age of 14. The rest 8-9 % begin after the age of 14. Virtually every man masturbates. It is a normal male sexual behavior. But excess of everything is bad. There is no problem if masturbation is done in moderation.

We may need reports of the following tests to rule out the physical causes of erectile dysfunction and premature ejaculation.

1. CBC (complete blood count).

2. T3, T4, TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone).

3. HbA1c (glycated hemoglobin).

4. Serum total testosterone, free testosterone.

5. Serum prolactin.

To rule out psychological causes, please answer the following questions.

How is your mood? How are your energy levels and appetite? Do you have any sleep disturbances, or do you oversleep? Any history of anxiety or depression? Any family members suffering from anxiety or depression?

Please respond to the above questions and send me reports to make a complete assessment of your condition and advise treatment accordingly. Depression can cause ED, PME, and masturbation guilt/compulsive masturbation. All that you may require is proper consultation and treatment about your sexual problems.

| 

I am very depressed because of this problem. I am energetic, but I have appetite problems because of lockdown (no work). I also suffer sleeping disturbance and cannot sleep for seven to eight hours. I wake up in the middle of sleep. No history of anxiety. My only problem is the poor erection. Is it the side effects of Finasteride?

Dr. Rahul Kansal

#

If your Finasteride use has lowered your testosterone levels, then ED may be due to long term Finasteride use. Without checking the hormone levels, we cannot be sure. Depression and anxiety can also lead to ED.

|