Q. Will taking antidepressant and antipsychotic medicines for a long duration cause erectile dysfunction?

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 25, 2020 and last reviewed on: Feb 28, 2020

I am 35 years old. I am taking the following medicines for the past seven years, but I am extremely suffering from erectile dysfunction and premature ejaculation. What can I do?

Bisoprolol 2.5 mg once daily, Flupentixol and Melitracen (0.5mg+10mg) once daily, Theophylline 400 mg twice daily, Aspirin 75 mg once daily, Montelukast sodium 10 mg (In the evening), Atorvastatin 10 mg once daily, Clonazepam 1 mg, Amlodipine and Telmisartan (5 mg+80 mg) once daily. Kindly advice.

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq

Cardiology General Practitioner
#

Why are you taking anti-depressant and antipsychotic drugs, that too for so long time? Why these medicines were started? Are you also suffering from some heart problems? Please reply so that I may guide you accordingly.

Regarding erectile dysfunction, most of the antidepressants do cause dysfunction. I would suggest you to consult a psychiatrist to taper down antipsychotic medicines or replace with other ones.

As for as cardiac point of view, Bisoprolol also causes erectile dysfunction in some patients. Replace this medicine with Nebivolol 2.5 mg, which also enhances erections.

You are taking Aspirin, Atorvastatin, Bisoprolol which are usually given for ischemic heart disease, which is uncommon in this young age. In old age, blockage of arteries also causes erectile dysfunction, but in young age, this is less likely. If this problem started suddenly, then most probably due to anxiety or depression. If progressed slowly over years I would advise you to have penile doppler ultrasound done. But before that, I would recommend providing a bit detailed history of your past illnesses, family history, so that costly investigations may be avoided.

Follow up with detailed history.

|