Q. Can erythema nodosum occur at the same spot in both feet?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 19, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 33 year old female with a history of erythema nodosum. I used to get outbreaks over my bilateral shins and ankles. Last bad outbreak was probably around seven to eight years ago. I woke up this morning with pain and swelling of the lateral parts of both the feet around the cuboid bone. The strange thing was that it continued to hurt with radiating pain throughout the day. I made a podiatrist appointment. After x-rays and examination, he diagnosed me with peroneal tendonitis and gave me orthotic boots and ankle braces to wear. The doctor seemed confused by the swelling and the fact that this happened so acutely with no injury, increase activity, etc. However, it did not hurt me until I reach home. I am realizing that the pain is so familiar, like my nodules, which I used to get on my shins. I am just wondering if it could really be erythema nodosum on that part of my foot and especially being that it is occurring bilaterally at the same exact location on each foot. Is this possible? Thank you so much for your help with this matter.

#

We are here to help you.

• Reading your case summary and studying the attached report (attachment removed to protect patient identity); I would say that the favorable diagnosis in your case would be erythema nodosum (inflammation of fat cells under the skin).
  • Characteristically, the lesions appear on the anterior legs, but can be present anywhere.
  • It can be bilateral or unilateral.
  • I would advise you to go for the following investigations:
  1. ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate).
  2. Throat swab for streptococcal.
  3. CRP (C-reactive protein).
  • In case these tests come out negative, then you should go ahead for ANA (antinuclear antibody) and skin biopsy to rule out vasculitis.

Streptococcal infection.

ESR and swab.

Revert back with the investigation reports to a rheumatologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/rheumatologist

Thank you for your response. So, is it common for the bilateral location being in the same spot on each foot?

#

• Yes, we frequently see the same picture. Actually, every disease in reality is not as classical as it is in the literature.
  • Moreover, there are chances that the investigations are required; if we feel that the picture is not classical.
  • The common presentations are seen in cases having vasculitis. So, you need to be sure of it is with the help of investigations.
  • I would recommend you to go for the discussed investigations and let us be sure of the diagnosis.
  • You must have been given treatment by your doctor. Can you mention the medicines given to you?

Revert back with the medication list to a rheumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/rheumatologist

|