Q. I experience on and off acid reflux as well as mild dysphagia. Does it indicate esophageal cancer?

Dr. Jennifer Schwartz, Md
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

I am a 26-year-old male. I have been experiencing on and off acid reflux for a few weeks as well as mild dysphagia (strangely only at breakfast). I am afraid of esophageal cancer. I do not smoke and drink. I exercise regularly, and I am not overweight. I have no family history of any cancer. I do suffer from anxiety issues, though, and I have pollen allergies.

Do you have a question on Esophageal Cancer or Dysphagia?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Jennifer Schwartz, Md

MD

First, I would like to reassure you that dysphagia and reflux symptoms are very common and more common than esophageal cancer. I want to reassure you that this is very unlikely to be esophageal cancer. Esophageal cancer is more common in older patients who have a history of smoking and or alcohol abuse. In patients with reflux symptoms, those symptoms are usually longstanding, and progress to Barrett's esophagus before any cancer develops. I think that you have gastroesophageal reflux and I think your symptoms can be easily managed.

1. Start an over-the-counter reflux medication. I recommend Ranitidine 150 mg every 12 hours. It takes about 30 minutes to start working, and you can take this as soon as you get up in the morning.

2. Make sure to not eat for two to three hours before going to bed.

3. Avoid spicy or acidic foods, especially for breakfast when you complain you have the most symptoms. This would include avoiding ketchup, citric fruit juices, coffee, and tea. Try to eat a very bland diet for the next two to four weeks and see if that improves. Eggs and toast, for example, caffeine can cause acid, and so I recommend avoiding coffee and tea. If you must have it (as I can understand), try to wait until later in the morning and make sure that you have any coffee or tea with food (even just a dry piece of toast). If your symptoms have not improved in one month, you may need to see a gastroenterologist to be evaluated for esophagitis or an ulcer.

Also Read Answers From: Esophageal Cancer Dysphagia

Can severe acid reflux cause Barrett's esophagus?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 27 year old female. I was going through a lot of stress and started consuming alcohol at least 3 drinks a day. For the past 5 years, I have been suffering from acid reflux along with severe regurgitation and taking tablet Prilosec. I fell sick a month ago and taught it to be a res...  Read Full »
Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are many causes of reflux. Hiatus hernia is one of the conditions. It is a major concern causing lifestyle limitation. I would like to know if you are suffering from any respiratory problem. Continuous reflux can cause stricture formation and dysphasia (difficult...  Read Full »

I have severe anxiety issues with eating and drinking. Can you help me?
Query: Hello doctor, I have been recently having severe anxiety issues, especially with eating and drinking. Recently, I was eating peanut butter and I was afraid some of it may have gone down the wrong pipe. There was no urge to cough except for me coughing out of being scared of aspirating it. It did fe...  Read Full »
Dr. Penchala Prasad Kandikattu

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Have you choked any time? What is the result of your reports? You may be suffering from anxiety neurosis/ phobia while eating. If you are feeling dysphagia, that may be due to acid reflex but it will not cause aspiration in the daytime. During night time acids reg...  Read Full »

Ask a Doctor Now