Q. Will my eyes get affected while watching the esophagus manometry?

Dr. Vivek Chail
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 29, 2016 and last reviewed on: Sep 07, 2020

I have a question about radiation. I had an esophageal manometry with high resolution together with a video scan of the esophagus. I was in a high flat bed and had contrast-liquid while they looked at my esophagus emptying that is swallowing process. They of course used as a small dose of radiation as possible and did stop the scanner between every small scan. The radiologist did let me watch the screen while doing the scan. It did take only 10 minutes, while the scanner was running maybe just for a few seconds or less. I looked after a computer screen across the scanner to see the operation. Will my eyes get damage while looking at the screen? I could see the nurse used some safety glasses, but I did not get any. Please explain.

#

• The radiation is focused on the location of study and therefore the x-ray emitted was towards your esophagus. Your eyes were safe and did not receive harmful levels of radiation.
  • The nurse is supposed to wear the glasses because she attends many procedures on a daily basis. Also, radiation safety regulations recommend the use of protective glasses for personnel working in radiation environments.

For further information consult a radiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/radiologist

|