Q. My spouse's BP has shot up after being advised surgery. Please help.

Dr. Ayesha Naveed

Hello doctor,

My spouse aged 47 years has been advised hysterectomy as there is a fibroid of 80 by 70 mm. Since hearing about an impending surgery, my spouse's blood pressure raised to 170/100. Now, she has been prescribed one tablet of Telmikind 40 per day and Tolol XR 50 twice a day from the last two weeks. However, the BP has reduced to only 150/90. How long will she need to take the tablets for, to achieve a normal BP. The surgery is getting delayed due to the high BP. So, is it necessary to change the medicines or raise the dose of medicines?

#

• I would like you to know that only a disturbing news cannot raise her BP by that much. It has been there for a while, and the stress of surgery just revealed it. This seems to be essential hypertension which needs a continuous monitoring and treatment.
  • Ask her to reduce salt intake and fatty meals and avoid stress.
  • Exercise for a minimum of 15 minutes every day.
  • Make a note of her BP in a diary, once in the morning and once in the evening.
  • The medication is alright, but I think the dose must be increased. I suggest you talk to the doctor about raising the dose according to her weight and other morbidities.

For more information consult a family physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/family-physician

|