Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. What causes irregular periods with pain in a 52-year-old female?

Answered by
Dr. Jimesh H Mavani
and medically reviewed by Dr. Divya Banu M
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 25, 2019

Hello doctor,

My mother is facing pain at periodical time since 6 months and period facing two times in a month and it remains for 4 to 6 days. Although she never faced this situation before. My mother's age is 52 years now. What should she do now. Already visited two gynecologist and they advised us to prepare for operation. As per their instruction checked the ultrasonography test, acknowledged us about the ovarian tumor and advised us for immediate operation. And we also checked the blood pressure, ECG , chest X-ray, thyroid, HIV test. Everything is fine except blood sugar and blood pressure. Now blood sugar and blood pressure are under control, physician also prescribed tablet Astyfer (400) for pressure and Insulin for blood sugar applying for 4-6-4 units (BB-BL-BD) per day, it is running since 10 days.

The first gynecologist prescribed Trapic 650 for 5 days (1 per day), Protera 40 for 14 days (1 per day), and syrup Inozyme for 7 days (2 times per day). Next time, he also prescribed the Trapic 650 for 5 days and Protera 40 for 5 days and Metformin SR (1000) for 14 days (1 per day) also, and advised us to visit after 2 months for next checking. But we decided to check up another gynecologist after 45 days later of the last gynecologist visit.

The second doctor advised us for operation and also prescribed for test of blood sugar, thyroid, ECG, chest X-ray, HIV, reports also attached. He prescribed tablet Stamlo (5), Zentel (400) 1 tablet, Astyfer XT for 20 days (one tablet per day). Astyfer is running now. I request you to kindly check the attached report and advise me what to do now.

Dr. Jimesh H Mavani

General Practitioner Obstetrics And Gynaecology


Welcome to

From your history, it is obvious that your mother definitely have to go through the operation and remove the uterus. But one thing is that there is nothing I found like ovarian tumor or something like that in USG (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I have seen all the reports except first which is not loading. Because menses normally ceases at around 40 to 45 years of age or sometime it may extent up to 48 to 50 years of age. So if your mother is menstruating up till 52 years of age with USG suggestive of fibroid uterus with adenomyotic changes, your mother must have remove her uterus and send for examination that whether there is carcinoma or not. And if not then nothing to worry. And if positive then may need another operation or chemotherapy.

In your mother's case if carcinoma is there, there is more chance that it would be endometrial carcinoma or adenocarcinoma of uterine muscles. I do not know how there is a doubt about ovarian carcinoma. And if there is chance or good reason for suspecting than than your mother must have to do CT scan of abdo pelvis and some other blood test also. Rest of the test which are done is prerequisite for operation. Mostly they will remove ovaries also along with the operation at the same time. Because there is a chance of ovarian carcinoma in future. And during past life and at 52 years of age there is also no role of ovaries remain. Before operation your sugar level and blood pressure should be under control so what they are giving you. And physician fitness and/or anesthetic fitness will required before operation. So better to get it done as early as possible. It is because if there is endometrial carcinoma also than why to give it a chance to grow. It is better that you remove it on first place.

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
Can fibroadenoma with cyst BI-RADS 2 to 3 lead to cancer?
What causes irregular periods with pain in a 52-year-old female?
How to manage heavy menstrual flow?

This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

I have irregular periods and vaginal dryness. Can IUD be the cause?

Query: Hello doctor, I have irregular periods and vaginal dryness. I also have premenstrual spotting, followed by three days of profuse bleeding. I got an IUCD placed ten years back. I use Minoxidil 5 % for topical application, since three months, but I stopped it 15 days back. I have a history of vitamin ...  Read Full »

Ultrasound shows flushed out kidney stones. Why is burning still there?

Query: Hello doctor, I had UTI and kidney stones earlier. My ultrasound states that my pancreas are normal in size and echotexture and the kidney stones have been flushed out, but there is infrequent burning. Can you shed more light on the latter part (echotexture)? Currently, I am on ayurvedic medicines ...  Read Full »

How to treat blockage of urine due to enlarged prostate?

Query: Hello doctor, My father is 67 years old. He is having mild psychiatric problem for the past 17 days. In the middle, around five days back the creatinine level increased from 1.1 to 5.6. So, an ultrasound was done and that showed blockage of urine due to enlarged prostate. But, urination was not comp...  Read Full »

Also Read

This article provides you with all the information that you should be knowing about miscarriage. Although this is an emo...  Read more»
COVID-19 Testing
COVID-19 testing includes analyzing patient samples to determine current or past infections with SARS-CoV-2. Read the ar...  Read more»
I feel a restlessness in my legs, which decreases my sleep quality. How to get a refreshing sleep?
Hello doctor, I cannot get refreshing sleep some days in a week, and some days it is good. I also have difficulty sleep...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Obstetrician & Gynaecologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.