Q. I have pain with ringing and heartbeat sound in the right ear. Kindly help.

Answered by
Dr. B. Vageesh Padiyar
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 02, 2021

Hi doctor,

I have pain and a ringing sound and sometimes heartbeat sound in my ear. I have pain because of this. I think this is due to an ear infection. I have a problem only with the right ear; the duration of the problem is about eight to nine days. Please help



Welcome to

There is absolutely nothing to worry about as this is a widespread treatable entity.

You have developed Eustachian tube catarrh, secondary to nasal allergy or inflammation.

The eustachian tube ventilates the nose and the ear. In a situation where it does not function, a negative pressure develops in the side of the ear leading to a feeling of vacuum, ringing sounds, feeling of fluid in the ear, and sometimes decreased hearing.

It can be treated by attempting to open the tube with the following advice.

1) Using Decongestant nasal drops containing Oxymetazoline or Xylometazoline three drops three times a day for one week.

2) Tablet containing a combination of Phenylephrine and Levocetirizine one tablet two times a day after food 12 hours apart for one week.

3) Doing Valsalva exercises. There are many videos online. Watch them on how to do the exercises.

4) Taking steam three to four times a day.

5) Refrain yourself from the use of earbuds.

6) Avoid having anything cold or spicy for the next two weeks.

7) Please take care to avoid dust exposure. All nasal allergies have to be appropriately treated, failing which the catarrh will recur.

8) You can consider Duonase nasal spray (Fluticasone propionate 50 mcg and Azelastine 140 mcg) or its equivalent two puffs in each nostril two times a day for six weeks

This typically takes around two to four weeks for things to settle down. Once the nasal allergies have settled down, the fluid in the ear will slowly reduce, and its associated symptoms (tinnitus, decreased hearing, etc.) will disappear.

I hope I have answered your query in detail. If there is anything more you need to know or enquire about, do let me know, and I will get back to you.

Warm regards.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Sinarest Tablet - Uses, Dosage, Drug Interactions and Side Effects

.. treat symptoms of cold, flu, allergies, etc. It is the combination of a decongestant, antihistamine, and analgesic in the right proportion .. ...   Read full

How to treat plugged ear and vertigo?

.. bulging is mostly because of eustachian tube dysfunction and middle ear inflammation. Use nasal decongestant drops as Otrivin while lying down on your back and your head is lower than your whole body (Trendelenburg position). Chewing gums may help...   Read full

Tinnitus worsening mom's anxiety. What might help her?

She is very deaf now and finds it difficult to wear her hearing aids as she has a perforated ear ... The hearing loss is due to age-related sensory neural ...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Tomato Fever - Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Tomato fever is an unidentified and fast-spreading type of viral infection seen in young children. Scroll down to know m...  Read more»
Histrionic Personality Disorder - Causes, Signs, Symptoms, Diagnosis and Treatment
Histrionic personality disorder causes variations in the thinking ability of a person. Read this article to know more.  Read more»
Nighttime Skin Routine for Clear Skin
A skin that gets all the attention during the day requires a chance to repair, rejuvenate and replenish from day damage ...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an ENT Otolaryngologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.