Q. I have pain with ringing and heartbeat sound in the right ear. Kindly help.

Dr. B. Vageesh Padiyar

I have pain and a ringing sound and sometimes heartbeat sound in my ear. I have pain because of this. I think this is due to an ear infection. I have a problem only with the right ear; the duration of the problem is about eight to nine days. Please help

#

There is absolutely nothing to worry about as this is a widespread treatable entity.

You have developed Eustachian tube catarrh, secondary to nasal allergy or inflammation.

The eustachian tube ventilates the nose and the ear. In a situation where it does not function, a negative pressure develops in the side of the ear leading to a feeling of vacuum, ringing sounds, feeling of fluid in the ear, and sometimes decreased hearing.

It can be treated by attempting to open the tube with the following advice.

1) Using Decongestant nasal drops containing Oxymetazoline or Xylometazoline three drops three times a day for one week.

2) Tablet containing a combination of Phenylephrine and Levocetirizine one tablet two times a day after food 12 hours apart for one week.

3) Doing Valsalva exercises. There are many videos online. Watch them on how to do the exercises.

4) Taking steam three to four times a day.

5) Refrain yourself from the use of earbuds.

6) Avoid having anything cold or spicy for the next two weeks.

7) Please take care to avoid dust exposure. All nasal allergies have to be appropriately treated, failing which the catarrh will recur.

8) You can consider Duonase nasal spray (Fluticasone propionate 50 mcg and Azelastine 140 mcg) or its equivalent two puffs in each nostril two times a day for six weeks

This typically takes around two to four weeks for things to settle down. Once the nasal allergies have settled down, the fluid in the ear will slowly reduce, and its associated symptoms (tinnitus, decreased hearing, etc.) will disappear.

I hope I have answered your query in detail. If there is anything more you need to know or enquire about, do let me know, and I will get back to you.

Warm regards.

|