Q. How to treat plugged ear and vertigo?

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda
and medically reviewed by Dr. Hemalatha

I have had one ear plugged completely with limited to no hearing on that side. I have been to the doctor and received Amoxicillin and steroids for it as well as Ciprodex ear drops and a Bromide nasal spray but my ear is still plugged. I woke up last week with this condition and debilitating vertigo as well. This is the first time I have had such debilitating vertigo in general. I went to urgent care and received a shot of Zofran to stop the nausea and purging. The dizziness has tamed down a bit, but still, I get woozy when I turn my head or look up and down. I am worried about the lasting condition of my ear and would love some help as I have not been to an Otolaryngologist yet.

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

Your ear bulging is mostly because of eustachian tube dysfunction and middle ear inflammation. Use nasal decongestant drops as Otrivin while lying down on your back and your head is lower than your whole body (Trendelenburg position). Chewing gums may help in opening the obstructive eustachian tube too.

Now about vertigo, it is now related to certain positions as looking up or down. So, this type of vertigo is related to your inner ear. Many drugs can end this vertigo but it has a dramatic side effect as it destroys the normal compensatory mechanism of your vestibular system. So, the best choice is to get help from an audiovestibular specialist who can help you performing a maneuver (something like physical therapy) in the form of 1 or 2 visits after which the vertigo can be completely treated.

| 

This is a sponsored video. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content/ad in the video.

Vertigo and nausea with violent shaking coming from my shoulders. What could it be?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 30-year-old woman. I have been having rough episodes of vertigo and nausea along with violent shaking that seems to be coming from my shoulders. I have pins and needles all the way down to my legs. I went to the ER twice because my condition suddenly and abruptly worsened. The do...  Read Full »

Can you suggest some medicine for ear blockage?

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from a left ear blockage, and it happens to me many times. Blockages get open when I move my jaw. I am suffering from this issue for the past two to three years, but not regularly. Commonly, I used to get it after swimming and due to cold. I am not taking any medicine ri...  Read Full »

Can I go for a haircut after having had removal of ear wax?

Query: Hello doctor, I believe I produce excessive ear wax in my ears due to the fact that I constantly have to go to an ENT to get them cleaned out. Today I had them cleaned out by my ENT but tomorrow I want to get a haircut. I have short hair so when I go to the barber the little hairs always fall and g...  Read Full »