Q. How to treat plugged ear and vertigo?

Answered by
Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda
and medically reviewed by Dr. Hemalatha
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 25, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 01, 2020

Hi doctor,

I have had one ear plugged completely with limited to no hearing on that side. I have been to the doctor and received Amoxicillin and steroids for it as well as Ciprodex ear drops and a Bromide nasal spray but my ear is still plugged. I woke up last week with this condition and debilitating vertigo as well. This is the first time I have had such debilitating vertigo in general. I went to urgent care and received a shot of Zofran to stop the nausea and purging. The dizziness has tamed down a bit, but still, I get woozy when I turn my head or look up and down. I am worried about the lasting condition of my ear and would love some help as I have not been to an Otolaryngologist yet.



Welcome to

Your ear bulging is mostly because of eustachian tube dysfunction and middle ear inflammation. Use nasal decongestant drops as Otrivin while lying down on your back and your head is lower than your whole body (Trendelenburg position). Chewing gums may help in opening the obstructive eustachian tube too.

Now about vertigo, it is now related to certain positions as looking up or down. So, this type of vertigo is related to your inner ear. Many drugs can end this vertigo but it has a dramatic side effect as it destroys the normal compensatory mechanism of your vestibular system. So, the best choice is to get help from an audiovestibular specialist who can help you performing a maneuver (something like physical therapy) in the form of 1 or 2 visits after which the vertigo can be completely treated.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
What Causes Vertigo?

Types So, vertigo is divided into two depending on the site of lesion in the above reflex mechanism: Central vertigo - Includes diseases of the brain like brain tumors, etc ...   Read full

What can be done to manage sinusitis with ear blockage and nasal drip?

Continue to do Valsalva maneuver, inhale steam, take OTC medicine as advised by your doctor ...   Read full

Say 'NO' to Earbuds

.. of tightly rolled cotton. If you have a practice of cleaning your ears often with cotton buds, you must read this. This habit interferes with the normal self-cleaning mechanisms of the external ear canal. Cleaning induces wax formation, and the wa...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Coronavirus Variant Arcturus: | Omicron XBB.1.16 Variant
Arcturus is an emerging variant of the Omicron virus that causes various symptoms and spreads rapidly across the world. ...  Read more»
Adrenaline Rush - Symptoms, Causes, Effects, and How to Control
Adrenaline is a hormone responsible for fight or flight response. It is also a neurotransmitter and medicine. It is also...  Read more»
Fatty Liver - Types, Symptoms, Stages, and Treatment
The liver is the largest gland in the body. Its primary function is to process the food and drinks we consume. and filte...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an ENT Otolaryngologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.