Q. What is the time limit to do dilated eye exam?

Dr. David J Mathew
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 27, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 26, 2020

My daughter, who is 9 years, went for an eye test. They put some drops for four times in an hour duration. Then, the doctor has told her to come the next day, but within the gap of 24 hours. Is that right? Can you tell me the time limit to do dilation test for eye examination? 

#

• There is no time limit for dilation. The doctor would have called your daughter to do a post-dilation test. In which case, no further dilation is needed.
  • The initial dilation was to check the power of the eye after paralyzing the accommodating muscles. Children tend to accommodate strongly and hence, it is difficult to ascertain the correct power without dilation.
  • Now, the test after 24 hours is to check how much power your daughter will accept in the normal state of the eyes.

For further doubts consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

|