HomeAnswersInternal Medicinelump on the headHow is a growing, movable mass in the occipital area treated?

The mass in my occipital area is getting bigger, and I have a headache. What to do?


The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

Dr. Sneha Kannan

Published At September 5, 2020
Reviewed AtMay 25, 2023

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

I am 28 years old, and I have a movable mass at my occipital part for the past two years as far as I remember. But this year, it got bigger, and I can feel it when I am lying down as it is pressed by a hard pillow I was using, after which I chose a soft one now. I was supposed to have it consulted last month, but because of the pandemic, I was not able to do so. Just a few days ago, staring at my computer caused me a headache and nausea. I do not know if it is because of the new glasses or a new sign. I had it checked by a general practitioner last year, and she told me it is not that serious as it is outside of the brain and can be eradicated by incision and drainage. I just felt it got bigger this year.

Answered by Dr. Sugreev Singh


Welcome to icliniq.com.

There can be both possibilities that this pain is related to eye or the mass. But as you have mentioned that it is growing bigger now so first of all I would suggest that you should go for incision and drainage.

Once it is removed and your headache continues you can go for eye check-up again and correct them accordingly. For pain I suggest you with tablet Paracetamol 650 mg once a day when you have headache. It is very hard to differentiate because eye pain refers to occipital region and also you have mass there. So better get it removed

In case of furthr query, contact me.

Thank you.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Sugreev Singh
Dr. Sugreev Singh

Internal Medicine

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Internal Medicine

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy