Q. What causes spinning wheel or fan type thing in side vision?

Dr. Prashant Koranmath
Published on Oct 14, 2019 and last reviewed on: Oct 17, 2019

I have noticed that sometimes I can see two or one spinning wheel or fan type thing in my side vision. Suddenly it comes and goes on its own. What can it be? I am scared about retinal detachment. Last I got my retina tested 1.5 years ago and it was fine.

Dr. Prashant Koranmath

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

These things are floaters. They happen due to changes in the vitreous which is jelly like thing in front of retina. If you are seeing now and then, just ignore it. If there is an increase in number of floaters and if you start seeing flashes then consult an Ophthalmologist immediately. For now once yearly regular checkup is enough. Take care.

I did not understand. Is it called floaters of retinal detachment? Should I get my retina checked? Is it really serious or should I ignore it? I saw it yesterday and last month once, not everyday I see it.

Dr. Prashant Koranmath

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

No floaters are in front of retina. Do not worry now. You can go for a regular eye checkup for a safer side, if you want.

What is the cause for eye floaters problem?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 56 years old male. I have eye floaters problem. I have blood pressure. I am taking tablets for it.  Read Full >>

Dr. Neha Rathi
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The floaters in the front of the eye indicate disease in the posterior segment of the eye that is retina or vitreous. As you have raised blood pressure, though you are taking medication, you have an increased chance of having retina and vitreous problems. You can get yo...  Read Full

I have sudden blurring of vision on one eye. Is it due to retinal detachment?

Query: Hello doctor, My vision was crystal clear this morning. I just woke up from a nap, and the vision in my left eye is blurry. It has not cleared up in the past half an hour. Twice over the years, this has happened, and it normalized over a few hours, but I am in a jungle now. So, I would like to err ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Shikha
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Did you get any surgery done for retinal detachment earlier? It may be a recurrent episode of retinal detachment. If you have diabetes or hypertension that may be a cause of this detachment. It can also happen in vitreous hemorrhage in which you will see a slightly ...  Read Full

Can divergent eye squint be treated with surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a complete retinal detachment in my left eye from an early age (11 to 12), went to many places including renowned eye care hospitals but nothing worked. Anyways, after a few days my left eye started to go outward and within a short time went completely outward (divergent squint...  Read Full >>

Dr. Bhavna
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Firstly, as you have mentioned that you have had a total retinal detachment (RD) in your LE during childhood, I would like to emphasize on the fact that RD surgery will not help in improving your vision. The squint you are talking about is an adaptive mechanism of the e...  Read Full