Q. What causes spinning wheel or fan type thing in side vision?

Dr. Prashant Koranmath
Published on Oct 14, 2019 and last reviewed on: Oct 17, 2019

I have noticed that sometimes I can see two or one spinning wheel or fan type thing in my side vision. Suddenly it comes and goes on its own. What can it be? I am scared about retinal detachment. Last I got my retina tested 1.5 years ago and it was fine.

Dr. Prashant Koranmath

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

These things are floaters. They happen due to changes in the vitreous which is jelly like thing in front of retina. If you are seeing now and then, just ignore it. If there is an increase in number of floaters and if you start seeing flashes then consult an Ophthalmologist immediately. For now once yearly regular checkup is enough. Take care.

| 

I did not understand. Is it called floaters of retinal detachment? Should I get my retina checked? Is it really serious or should I ignore it? I saw it yesterday and last month once, not everyday I see it.

Dr. Prashant Koranmath

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

No floaters are in front of retina. Do not worry now. You can go for a regular eye checkup for a safer side, if you want.

| 

What is the cause for eye floaters problem?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 56 years old male. I have eye floaters problem. I have blood pressure. I am taking tablets for it.  Read Full »

I have sudden blurring of vision on one eye. Is it due to retinal detachment?

Query: Hello doctor, My vision was crystal clear this morning. I just woke up from a nap, and the vision in my left eye is blurry. It has not cleared up in the past half an hour. Twice over the years, this has happened, and it normalized over a few hours, but I am in a jungle now. So, I would like to err ...  Read Full »

Can divergent eye squint be treated with surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a complete retinal detachment in my left eye from an early age (11 to 12), went to many places including renowned eye care hospitals but nothing worked. Anyways, after a few days my left eye started to go outward and within a short time went completely outward (divergent squint...  Read Full »