Q. What causes spinning wheel or fan type thing in side vision?

Dr. Prashant Koranmath
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 14, 2019 and last reviewed on: Oct 17, 2019

I have noticed that sometimes I can see two or one spinning wheel or fan type thing in my side vision. Suddenly it comes and goes on its own. What can it be? I am scared about retinal detachment. Last I got my retina tested 1.5 years ago and it was fine.

#

These things are floaters. They happen due to changes in the vitreous which is jelly like thing in front of retina. If you are seeing now and then, just ignore it. If there is an increase in number of floaters and if you start seeing flashes then consult an Ophthalmologist immediately. For now once yearly regular checkup is enough. Take care.

I did not understand. Is it called floaters of retinal detachment? Should I get my retina checked? Is it really serious or should I ignore it? I saw it yesterday and last month once, not everyday I see it.

#

No floaters are in front of retina. Do not worry now. You can go for a regular eye checkup for a safer side, if you want.

|