Q. Kindly check my eye power and suggest whether I am qualified for state medical test?

Dr. Shachi Dwivedi
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 21, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 22, 2021

I am attaching my eye prescription. I am also attaching my medical test criteria for state police service rank. Please mention whether I meet the given eye power.

#

On seeing your criteria and test results, you are having a combined power of -4.50 including cylinder. It does not fit your prescribed criteria. I suggest you do a dilated refraction to know your exact power and also do a color vision test.

Is there any concept of making spherical equivalent by doing 1/2 of cylinder power? Is it possible? My present correction is mentioned as 6/6 with this diopter power. Can it be made 6/9 with a correction less than the present -4.5 to make me fit?

#

6/6 indicates a hundred percent vision. Please mention the reason to have 6/9 when your vision with glasses remains perfect. The spherical equivalent can be used here but the doctor will see whether you are fitting to it or not. A medical officer in your examination will check your glass power and correct vision again. Avoid doing this mistake. Please mention whether they remain dilated before this. Please mention whether they used eye drops and made you sit for an hour to finalize your number or just machine-based. Because having power changes after dilatation shows your final power.

Two years back, I did a dilated test and I have attached it. Now I am using this glass after doing a reading test and machine test. It was mentioned as 6/6 or 6/9 on the advertisement and the maximum correction required is -4D. Can I meet my criteria if my eye correction is kept 6/9 with a power less than -4D?

#

I have gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You can keep your vision 6/9 by reducing your power. You can ask your doctor to reduce your cylinder and increase your spherical power. In this way, you can be able to read the 6/9 line clearly and few letters of the 6/6 line. You can be able to fit your medical test. You have the only issue is your cylindrical power that remains more than -1.00 dioptre from the beginning. So you might not be able to adjust your reduced power. It will be a bluff and your doctor in the medical examination can catch you. Keep this in mind before taking any decision.

|