Q. Could my facial palsy be due to a venous anomaly or a capillary telangiectasis?

Dr. Hitesh Kumar

I had facial palsy and did an MRI to rule out the cause. The report says, "small focus of linear and patchy enhancement in the medial left basal ganglia." Is this a venous anomaly or capillary telangiectasia?

Kindly give your opinion.

#

I would like to know some details about your symptoms. So, kindly answer me the following;

1) When you had facial palsy?

2) Which side of the face was affected?

3) Do you have any associated limb weakness?

4) Have you any other associated medical illness? If yes, please give the details.

5) How was the onset of palsy?

6) Do you have ear symptoms like ear discharge, hearing abnormality, ringing sound, or decreased hearing?

7) Are you taking any medications these days? If yes, kindly specify them.

Take care.

Thanks for the reply.

Facial palsy is on the left side, and it came over 18 months. It is less visible only. There is no numbness or any other issues with the hand, and my hearing is fine. I am not taking any medication. There was no prior medical illness. We did the MRI with contrast.

Thanks.

#

Left-sided facial palsy should not be due to developmental venous anomaly on the left side alone. And your MRI finding is most likely incidental only (attachments removed to protect the patient’s identity). Your facial palsy is idiopathic bell's palsy.

Take care.

|