Q. I cannot smile for more than 4 seconds. Is this due to nerve damage or psychological problem?

Dr. Awadhesh P Singh Solanki
and medically reviewed by Dr. Hema

I am 16 years old and not good. I have a smile issue. I think it started before 5 years if I am not wrong. I feel like I cannot put a smile for more than 3 to 4 seconds ,and sometimes I think it trembles. My smile is very uncomfortable and weird. This whole thing has caused me social anxiety. I want to do so many things that I cannot do. All these years, I thought that this is a psychological problem. But I started thinking that there is any facial issue or nerve damage. I thought to get in touch with a neurologist. Because, when I smile, I feel like my facial muscles cannot handle it and start twitching too. Also if I try to close a little bit my eye starts twitching, and same for my nose. I would be so glad if there is some physical problem and can be fixed. My life has been ruined all these years because of this. Please help me.

Do you have a question on Difficulty To Smile or Psychological Counselling?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Awadhesh P Singh Solanki

MBBS., MD
Psychiatry

Smile is a complex process executed by a group of muscles and nerves. If you are having difficulty while smiling, then it could be because of psychological or organic cause.

Psychological cause includes anxiety disorders, and organic cause includes nerve damage. I would advise you to visit a local neurologist for nerve conduction studies. There are lots of options to correct the smile.

For psychogenic causes, you can meet a psychiatrist for counseling and medical treatment to deal your anxiety.

How can I reduce my depression?
Query: Hi doctor, When I wake up from my sleep, I feel empty. I am not willing to do my work. I neglect my study. I always stay alone in my room. I am feeling lonely. I got a breakup. After having a breakup, my depression got worse. I am crying every day for around seven months. I am unable to focus anymo...  Read Full >>
Dr. Vandana Patidar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are in a troubled situation. Having an empty feeling and negative thoughts occurring on an occasional basis are quite reasonable. It does happen to everyone. But having a low opinion, and feeling empty for so long, around seven months is not healthy. It indicates th...  Read Full

I am having a marital problem because of my past relationship. Please help.
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 27 year old male. I have been married for one and a half years, but I cannot forget my ex-girlfriend. I fell in love with a girl, and one day it was all over because she cheated me. We were in the relationship for eight years. The first time when I discovered that she was cheatin...  Read Full >>
Dr. Mehwish Mursaleen
Psychologist Counsellor

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I completely understand that you are concerned about your sexual functioning. As you have mentioned that you are experiencing erectile dysfunction, few things need to be clarified. It is not about getting aroused during a movie, remembering your ex-girlfriend, or imaginin...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now