Q. My FBS is high even after increasing the dose of Metformin. Why?

Dr. Penchala Prasad Kandikattu
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 03, 2020 and last reviewed on: Aug 27, 2020

My FBS used to be around 100-115 while on Metformin 500 mg twice daily (diabetic and PCOS). Recently I have been tired, and feeling hot in the nights, getting night sweats. My FBS was between 150-165 and I visited my doctor and some tests confirmed and he diagnosed me with NASH and put me on Atorvastatin 10 mg.

He increased my Metformin to 1 g twice daily and I took it for a week and a half and my FBS was still high. He then changed it back to Metformin 500 mg twice daily and Diamicron 30 mg once daily and my FBS is still high. Any suggestions?

I am currently on Presaratan H, Amlodipine 10 mg, and Qlaria.

Dr. Penchala Prasad Kandikattu

#

You have to wait at least two weeks to know whether the drug is working or not. Do regular exercise and yoga. Avoid alcohol and smoking. Eat green leafy vegetables and fruits.

Avoid irregular meals, please check whether you are suffering from hypothyroidism or metabolic syndrome or other hormonal imbalance in which blood sugar may not come down. Weight reduction is very important. Millets like foxtail millet, oats, and other millets are useful to control blood sugar.Still, your blood sugar not under control you may need to change oral hypoglycemic drugs.

Ultrasound abdomen. Thyroid profile. Serum creatinine.

Metabolic syndrome.

Continue the same treatment.

|