Q. Why is there bleeding after five days of taking an i-pill?

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Khurana
and medically reviewed by Dr.Lekshmipriya B
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 24, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jan 25, 2022

I took an i-pill eight days before my menstrual period was due, and after five days of taking it, I started bleeding. The bleeding lasted for three to four days, light spotting towards the end. But now, I have again started to bleed much ahead of my menstrual period. This does not usually happen. It is slightly accompanied by pain in the stomach and back. What could be the reason? Is there anything wrong? I have been a type 1 diabetic for the past 14 years, and I am insulin-dependent, but my blood glucose level remains in control. Please advise.

#

I suggest taking one gynecologic ultrasound and a routine urine examination to rule out the cause. Most likely, the symptoms are because of hormonal imbalance because of the I-pill. I suggest you start a combination of the Tranexamic acid with Mefenamic acid 500 mg two to three times a day. I suggest you be on regular oral contraceptive pills rather than being on an emergency pill. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with them, and take the above medicines with their consent. Follow up with the ultrasound report.

|