Q. What does it mean to have fat deposits in ovaries?

I am a 54-year-old female. I bled a drop yesterday, so went to the gynecologist. She examined me and told me that I had cervical polyps. She also asked me to do a TVS. I did it today and she told me that there were fat deposits on my ovaries. What does it mean? Is it cancer? Please explain.

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

No, it does not mean cancer. Normally, there is some fat deposition around the ovaries and it is normal to have. You please attach the report so that I can have look at technical terms used, other organs and specific diagnosis mentioned in the report. Otherwise, from what you have mentioned, there appears to be nothing serious.

| 

I have not received the reports yet. But they just told me that I have fat on the ovaries because of which they did a CT scan too. I have not received the CT report either. Since they did the CT, I am worried.

#

Fat per se does not indicate malignancy, but she might have seen some other abnormalities like enlargement of ovaries or abnormal echogenicity which might need clarification leading to CT scan. Many a time, the doctor prefers to undergo higher investigations just as screening or if minor abnormalities are present just not to miss anything. Nowadays the threshold for higher investigations is less and does not necessarily mean that something serious would be present. Anyway, do not worry at present and let us wait for the report. All the best.

| 

I have received the report. Please review.

#

I have gone through the report (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It is showing dermoid cyst, which is not cancer but a benign cystic lesion. It must be present for a long time there and now incidentally found. So nothing to worry about it, but it is better to get it removed as there may occur complications within it like infection, pain, and a small risk of cancer development in the future. So nothing to worry about and CT will confirm the findings. Also, the uterus is multiple fibroids which are benign growth and very common in females. So again not worrisome. So overall, do not worry about it, but better to get it removed on an elective basis.

| 

What about the calcium thing on ovaries? And what does that vascular pedicle thing mean? Please make me understand.

#

The dermoid cyst may contain various body elements like calcium, bones, teeth, even hairs. It is a normal constituent of dermoid cyst. Also, the vascular pedicle is likely related to the polyp in the cervix. It is starting in the uterus and then protruding through the cervical outside. The inside part is seen as pedicle and it contains blood vessels so vascular pedicle. CT will confirm these findings.

|