Q. What can be the reason for the dent in my kneecap?

Dr. Atul Prakash
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 18, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 19, 2019

I was run over by a car four months ago. I got an MRI and the doctors said all my ligaments and meniscus look fine. However, my kneecap is dented in, slightly swollen above the cap. If I overuse my knee, the whole leg swells. I have been going to wound care doctors for four months for this. I have constant pain shoot up to my hip and every five to 10 minutes the knee burns and starts shooting pain all over to the point where I want to cry. I cannot feel the pain on the skin and the meat on the right side of my left knee but it still hurts when I move. I have attached the films for your reference. Is there anything else that can be wrong with it? I feel the doctor has not correctly diagnosed the condition.

#

I have seen the films (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• With the type of bruising that the first picture shows, it is a miracle that your MRI is normal. 
  • The dent on the skin close to the patella is due to fat necrosis and may persist.
  • As far as the pain is concerned, I suggest you should have been put on Pregabalin 75 mg twice a day to help with the pain. If you are not on it, then you should ask your doctor for it.
  • Are you having any physiotherapy? You should have the physiotherapy as muscle wasting is common after an injury like this.
  • Leg swelling is common too and needs ice and elevation.

For more information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

|