Q. I get anxious with the thought that I am infected with rabies. What can I do?

Dr. Mashfika N Alam
Published on Apr 23, 2018

I have been anxious since I thought I was bitten by a cat last year. I am pretty sure that I am immune to rabies because I was not bitten but the problem is, every time I feel something in my body, I get really anxious because of the thought that the illness was caused by rabies. My mind thinks I am infected but I am really not. Is there something I can do?

Dr. Mashfika N Alam

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

You seem to have a phobia about rabies.

You could benefit from counselling. If that does not work, then you might need anti-anxiety drugs.

Practicing meditation can also take your mind off it. Basically, you need to divert your mind elsewhere. The less you think about it, the less it will bother you. In a few weeks, you will see that the intensity of the phobia has significantly decreased. The key is to ignore these thoughts, however pressing they may seem.

Hope this helps.

For more information consult a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

Why am I getting heavy shoulders and tingly arms when I forget my vitamin supplement?

Query: Hello doctor, I am experiencing heavy shoulders, and then my hands and legs are feeling heavy and tingly. I can feel it go up to my neck and face at times. But the main symptom is heavy shoulders. I do have low vitamin D and B. I forgot to take my supplements for almost a week. When I forget, my le...  Read Full >>

Dr. Pooja Pardhi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query and can understand your health concern. Vitamin B12 deficiency can cause weakness, body ache and tingling sensation. But you told that after not taking the supplements your symptoms get aggravated. In my opinion, it is psychological only,...  Read Full

How to cope when a sibling is seriously ill?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a brother who is sick since a month. I am feeling very helpless without him and I am deprived of sleep. I keep thinking about him the whole day. How can I overcome this situation?  Read Full >>

Dr. Arooj Najmussaqib
Psychologist Counsellor

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The pain of near ones makes you feel helpless. This weakens your strength somehow. Symptoms like lack of sleep, disturbance, and tension occur when you feel stressed for any reason. But you have to be strong for your brother. If you feel low, he will become worse and ...  Read Full

How can I reduce my depression?

Query: Hi doctor, When I wake up from my sleep, I feel empty. I am not willing to do my work. I neglect my study. I always stay alone in my room. I am feeling lonely. I got a breakup. After having a breakup, my depression got worse. I am crying every day for around seven months. I am unable to focus anymo...  Read Full >>

Dr. Vandana Patidar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are in a troubled situation. Having an empty feeling and negative thoughts occurring on an occasional basis are quite reasonable. It does happen to everyone. But having a low opinion, and feeling empty for so long, around seven months is not healthy. It indicates th...  Read Full

Ask a General Practitioner Now