Q. Fetal ultrasound revealed some heart size defect. Is my baby in danger?

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq
and medically reviewed by Dr. Hemalatha
Published on Sep 08, 2019

I am 8 months pregnant. My obstetrician did an ultrasound, and according to her, my unborn child's heart size is at 64% when it should be less 50%. She advised me to have a 2D echo done, and I have not received the result yet. Is my child in danger?

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq

Cardiology General Practitioner
#

Thanks for the query.

Fetal echocardiography is not 100 percent reliable, so cardiac defects cannot be solely decided on imaging.

Comprehensive patient history, other illnesses, medicines taken during pregnancy, and family history are important. If the fetus is normal with regular movements and growth, and no signs of fetal stress, then one should be satisfied about the fetus. Only a reliable diagnosis can be made after the birth of the baby.

Echocardiography is repeated after birth if pre-birth echocardiography is abnormal.

Ultrasound scan showed dilated cerebral ventricle in 37 weeks fetus. How to proceed further?

Query: Hi doctor, I have done four ultrasound scan of my 37 weeks baby showing the impression of the fetal left lateral cerebral ventricle is significantly dilated (approximately 27 mm) with the irregularity of the wall. Left choroid plexus is enlarged and filled with a hypoechoic central part. Corpus cal...  Read Full »