Q. The entire surface of the fetus is fluid-filled. What does it mean?

Based on the result of the ultrasound, the entire surface of the fetus is fluid-filled from the head all the way to the body of the fetus. What does it mean?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

How are you doing?

Let me start by saying that this is not a good sign. I would have preferred to see the scan picture myself. What you are mentioning seems to be hydrops fetalis. Here water gets collected both inside and outside the body. Baby will have water collection in head, lungs, heart, abdomen, under the skin, in the fluid around the baby, even in the placenta.

The causes are a long list. Some of the commoner causes are:

Rh incompatibility (mother with negative blood group and baby with positive blood group), congenital heart diseases, lymphatic system abnormalities or parvovirus infection or musculoskeletal abnormalities or gastrointestinal abnormalities, the list is long. But, the net result is that fluid is not circulating in the blood, but outside.

The pregnancy will have to be terminated (aborted) as baby cannot withstand this. This is the impression from the minimal report you have given. Only a person who has seen the scan report fully can give a final say. Hope I have cleared your query.

All the best.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|