Q. The entire surface of the fetus is fluid-filled. What does it mean?

Published on May 15, 2018

Based on the result of the ultrasound, the entire surface of the fetus is fluid-filled from the head all the way to the body of the fetus. What does it mean?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

How are you doing?

Let me start by saying that this is not a good sign. I would have preferred to see the scan picture myself. What you are mentioning seems to be hydrops fetalis. Here water gets collected both inside and outside the body. Baby will have water collection in head, lungs, heart, abdomen, under the skin, in the fluid around the baby, even in the placenta.

The causes are a long list. Some of the commoner causes are:

Rh incompatibility (mother with negative blood group and baby with positive blood group), congenital heart diseases, lymphatic system abnormalities or parvovirus infection or musculoskeletal abnormalities or gastrointestinal abnormalities, the list is long. But, the net result is that fluid is not circulating in the blood, but outside.

The pregnancy will have to be terminated (aborted) as baby cannot withstand this. This is the impression from the minimal report you have given. Only a person who has seen the scan report fully can give a final say. Hope I have cleared your query.

All the best.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

Ectopic Pregnancy

Article Overview: In an ectopic pregnancy, the fertilized egg gets attached anywhere outside the uterus. Ectopic pregnancies are very common and occur in about 1 in every 50 pregnancies. It is a medical emergency and if left untreated, can also be fatal. Read Article

Dr. Sneha Kannan

What is an Ectopic Pregnancy? Fertilization of the ovum by sperm takes place in the fallopian tubes. After fertilization, the fertilized egg travels through the fallopian tube to the uterus. Normally, this embryo gets attached to the wall of the uterus and develops. In an ectopic pregnancy, the fer...  Read Article

What is the significance of minimal fluid in POD?

Query: Hi doctor, We had unprotected sex and after that she took I-pill within one hour. Is there any chance of pregnancy? She had an ultrasound and there is minimal fluid found in POD. Otherwise, everything is fine. Please suggest what to do now.  Read Full »

Is it advisable to terminate second pregnancy in Rh-negative mother?

Query: Hello doctor, My sister-in-law is six weeks pregnant. Five years ago, she gave birth to a boy who was healthy and is to this day. She is Rh negative and her husband is Rh positive. At the birth of her first child, she was advised that she should not breastfeed the baby and so she did not. I did not...  Read Full »