Q. Both Crocin and Meftal given for a recurrent fever in a 6 year old. Is this a right approach?

Dr. Amit Modi
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

Kid of 6 years has a temperature of 101.5 since 40 hours. The fever is coming every four to five hours after giving Meftal. Day one he was on alternate Crocin and Meftal, but we think two medicines are harmful and planning to give only Meftal every six hours on the second day.

1. Please advise if this is the right approach.

2. Is fever coming back after four hours of Meftal common in first 72 hours?

Do you have a question on Fever or Paracetamol?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Amit Modi

MBBS., MD (PEDIATRICS
Child Health Paediatrics

Viral fever may last for 3 to 4 days. You need to give Paracetamol or a combination drug of Mefenamic acid to control the temperature for each episode of fever. Combination of Mefenamic acid and Paracetamol are more effective in controlling high-grade fever, and it also decreases the frequency of fever.

Keep the child well hydrated. The dose of antipyretic for your child would be, syrup Calpol (250) 7 ml SOS or syrup Meftagesic DS 7 ml SOS.

if fever is still persistent after three days, you must visit a pediatrician for clinical evaluation and workup.

How many doses of Meftal is fine for a period of three days? Are four doses per day safe as the temprature is above 102?

Dr. Amit Modi

MBBS., MD (PEDIATRICS
Child Health Paediatrics

Yes, you need to maintain a gap of six hours between the doses.

Also Read Answers From: Fever Paracetamol Meftal-p

Paracetamol tablets for tooth pain
Query: Hello Doctor, Can I take two Amoxicillin 500 tablets for my first dose of medicines for a tooth infection? Is there anything at home that will take the pain away?  Read Full »
Dr. Muzaffer Hussain Parray
Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If you are taking Amoxicillin for your toothache, then let me educate you it is an antibiotic and not a painkiller. So, if you want to kill the pain, I suggest taking a tablet with acombination of Ibuprofen and Paracetamol after meals. The pain will be gone in just 1...  Read Full »

What has to be done for fever and chills in 3 years 6 months old child?
Query: Hello doctor, Fever and chills in a child of age 3 years 6 months. A mild cough is also noticed. What can I do?  Read Full »
Dr. Rajesh Babu
Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Shivering may be because of a highfever, or because of urine infection or malaria. As of now use the below medication. Syrup Crocin DS (Paracetamol) 5 ml/240 mg, 4 ml if fever greater than 100 F every sixth hourly. Sponging with lukewarm water until the fever decreases ...  Read Full »

If I had six Paracetamol tablets and seven of Mefenamic acid, how bad can it be?
Query: Hello doctor, I am 18 years old. What if I have six tablets of 500 mg Paracetamol (Crocin advance) and seven tablets of 500 mg Mefenamic acid (Ponstan forte) at one go (within five minutes)? How bad will it be? What will the side effects be?  Read Full »
Dr. Smit Uttam Janrao

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. This dose is really too high. You should not take medicines like this without a proper prescription from your doctor. You may have an acute liver failure. Stop them right now and take a high-carbohydrate diet for the next five to seven days. ...  Read Full »

Ask a Doctor Now