Q. Both Crocin and Meftal given for a recurrent fever in a 6 year old. Is this a right approach?

Dr. Amit Modi

Kid of 6 years has a temperature of 101.5 since 40 hours. The fever is coming every four to five hours after giving Meftal. Day one he was on alternate Crocin and Meftal, but we think two medicines are harmful and planning to give only Meftal every six hours on the second day.

1. Please advise if this is the right approach.

2. Is fever coming back after four hours of Meftal common in first 72 hours?

#

Viral fever may last for 3 to 4 days. You need to give Paracetamol or a combination drug of Mefenamic acid to control the temperature for each episode of fever. Combination of Mefenamic acid and Paracetamol are more effective in controlling high-grade fever, and it also decreases the frequency of fever.

Keep the child well hydrated. The dose of antipyretic for your child would be, syrup Calpol (250) 7 ml SOS or syrup Meftagesic DS 7 ml SOS.

if fever is still persistent after three days, you must visit a pediatrician for clinical evaluation and workup.

How many doses of Meftal is fine for a period of three days? Are four doses per day safe as the temprature is above 102?

#

Yes, you need to maintain a gap of six hours between the doses.

|