Q. Both Crocin and Meftal given for a recurrent fever in a 6 year old. Is this a right approach?

Dr. Amit Modi

Kid of 6 years has a temperature of 101.5 since 40 hours. The fever is coming every four to five hours after giving Meftal. Day one he was on alternate Crocin and Meftal, but we think two medicines are harmful and planning to give only Meftal every six hours on the second day.

1. Please advise if this is the right approach.

2. Is fever coming back after four hours of Meftal common in first 72 hours?

This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

Dr. Amit Modi

Child Health Paediatrics
#

Viral fever may last for 3 to 4 days. You need to give Paracetamol or a combination drug of Mefenamic acid to control the temperature for each episode of fever. Combination of Mefenamic acid and Paracetamol are more effective in controlling high-grade fever, and it also decreases the frequency of fever.

Keep the child well hydrated. The dose of antipyretic for your child would be, syrup Calpol (250) 7 ml SOS or syrup Meftagesic DS 7 ml SOS.

if fever is still persistent after three days, you must visit a pediatrician for clinical evaluation and workup.

| 

How many doses of Meftal is fine for a period of three days? Are four doses per day safe as the temprature is above 102?

Dr. Amit Modi

Child Health Paediatrics
#

Yes, you need to maintain a gap of six hours between the doses.

| 

Paracetamol tablets for tooth pain

Query: Hello Doctor, Can I take two Amoxicillin 500 tablets for my first dose of medicines for a tooth infection? Is there anything at home that will take the pain away?  Read Full »

What has to be done for fever and chills in 3 years 6 months old child?

Query: Hello doctor, Fever and chills in a child of age 3 years 6 months. A mild cough is also noticed. What can I do?  Read Full »

If I had six Paracetamol tablets and seven of Mefenamic acid, how bad can it be?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 18 years old. What if I have six tablets of 500 mg Paracetamol (Crocin advance) and seven tablets of 500 mg Mefenamic acid (Ponstan forte) at one go (within five minutes)? How bad will it be? What will the side effects be?  Read Full »