My son is 2.6 years old. His weight is 26 lbs. He is a healthy and active child. But, he is getting coughs and cold at least once in a month for the past three months. Currently, he has a fever for the past two days (101 degrees Fahrenheit) and cold from today morning. I am giving him Cetirizine and Ambroxol for cough and cold, Meftal for high fever of above 102 degree Fahrenheit and Crocin for normal fever. Other than these, I am giving him Zincovit. I guess that the cold, which he has gotten subsided once he take antibiotic and cough syrup. Whenever he coughs too much, he will then vomit the phlegm out. Other than this, the phlegm is not coming out either in the nose or through the stools. Please get me some solution to make the cold come out.
1. Your son was having frequent infections for the last three months.
2. Is there any source from which he might be getting it? Please try to identify it like whether he started going to school or any family member having the same symptoms. Then, probably try to rectify that.
3. You have been giving all the right medications.
4. Probably some investigations can help if he is still running a high fever. Could most likely be viral fever as it is associated with cold.
5. There is no means to remove cold from the body. Medications would be there to decrease the phlegm.
6. Did he ever require nebulizations? His cough might require nebulizations. That would clear his nasal passage also.
7. Is he allergic to anything, which is causing his cough? Please notice, like cold weather, dust, etc.
8. Some kids have frequent infections, but tend to come over as they grow.
The Probable causes:
Investigations to be done:
Complete blood count, CRP (C-reactive protein), parasite F and V test, CUE (complete urine examination) and chest x-ray.
I suggest the following medicines. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.
1. Syrup Cetirizine 5 mL, once daily at night.
2. Continue Crocin (Acetaminophen) and Meftal (Mefenamic acid).
3. Nebulization with 3% Nacl (Sodium chloride), twice daily for three days.
4. Syrup Ascoril LS (combination of Ambroxol and Salbutamol) 4 mL, three times a day for three days.
Regarding follow up:
Revert back after three days.
Was this answer helpful?
Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!
.. a viral or allergic upper respiratory tract infection. Calpol and Combiflam (Ibuprofen with Paracetamol) both should not be used at a time. Use only one drug among these two as they are anti-inflammatory and analgesic. Read full
.. your letter that you been having a difficulty breathing and you are concerned about pneumonia. I would like to get some more information in terms of fever, difficulty breathing, bringing up sputum. Is it yellow color or white color. Read full
I recently recorded a three-minute video and listened to it before sending it. In that video, a couple of words stood out to me that was not enunciated well. I have posted a short mini-clip of each word. Read full
Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.