Q. How to get the phlegm out of the body?

Dr. Sirisha
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 06, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 26, 2020

My son is 2.6 years old. His weight is 12 kg. He is a healthy and active child. But, he is getting coughs and cold at least once in a month for the past three months. Currently, he has a fever for the past two days (101 degree) and cold from today morning. I am giving him Cetirizine and Ambroxol for cough and cold, Meftal for high fever of above 102 degree Fahrenheit and Crocin for normal fever. Other than these, I am giving him Zincovit. I guess that the cold, which he has gotten subsided once he take antibiotic and cough syrup. Whenever he coughs too much, he will then vomit the phlegm out. Other than this, the phlegm is not coming out either in the nose or through the stools. Please get me some solution to make the cold come out. Thank you.

Dr. Sirisha

Paediatrics
#

• Your son was having frequent infections for the last three months.
  • Is there any source from which he might be getting it? Please try to identify it like whether he started going to school or any family member having the same symptoms. Then, probably try to rectify that.
  • You have been giving all the right medications.
  • Probably some investigations can help if he is still running a high fever. Could most likely be viral fever as it is associated with cold.
  • There is no means to remove cold from the body. Medications would be there to decrease the phlegm.
  • Did he ever require nebulizations? His cough might require nebulizations. That would clear his nasal passage also.
  • Is he allergic to anything, which is causing his cough? Please notice, like cold weather, dust, etc.
  • Some kids have frequent infections, but tend to come over as they grow.

Viral fever.

Complete blood count, CRP (C-reactive protein), parasite F and V test, CUE (complete urine examination) and chest x-ray.

Viral pyrexia.

I suggest the following medicines. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.
1. Syrup Cetirizine 5 mL, once daily at night.
2. Continue Crocin (Acetaminophen) and Meftal (Mefenamic acid).
3. Nebulization with 3% Nacl (Sodium chloride), twice daily for three days.
4. Syrup Ascoril LS (combination of Ambroxol and Salbutamol) 4 mL, three times a day for three days.

Revert back after three days to a paediatrician online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

| 

Cetirizine and Paracetamol for Fever

Query: Hi doctor, When I have the fever, can I take Cetirizine in the morning and then Paracetamol in the afternoon?  Read Full »

Paracetamol in Pregnancies

Query: Hi doctor,My wife is suffering from severe cold, headache and throat pain. Can she take Paracetamol, antibiotics, and Cetirizine? We are planning for pregnancy, using medicine for it. This is her 12th day after the period.  Read Full »

I used cocaine and now I have cough and phlegm with itchiness in throat. Why?

Query: Hi doctor,I used cocaine for six months but for four months, I have coughs and phlegm especially in the morning. I never had throat pain. It just feels itchy. I saw a doctor who gave me allergy spray with Cortizon but I took it for just one month. I keep drinking alcohol and cold drinks which makes ...  Read Full »