Q. What is the correct dosage of Paracetamol for fever?

Dr. Arpit Varshney
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 01, 2022 and last reviewed on: Oct 05, 2022

I am having a fever and took Paracetamol 650 mg in the morning. However, at night I still had a fever. Should I take Paracetamol again or wait for the fever to go away? I visited the hospital yesterday without a mask for a check-up and may have caught germs. What is the correct dosage of Paracetamol for fever?

Kindly help.

#

The maximum acceptable dose of Paracetamol tablets for a healthy adult male is a maximum of six tablets (650 mg) in a day. However, you can safely take four tablets in a day if required. But more importantly, taking Paracetamol for fever is not the solution. First, we need to find the cause of the fever. Once we treat the root cause, the fever will go away, and Paracetamol will not be required in high doses.

To find out the exact cause of the fever and treat it accordingly, please respond with answers to these questions.

1. Since when is the fever present? Is it associated with chills or shivering? Have you recorded it on a thermometer?

2. Do you have any associated symptoms like cough, cold, sore throat, pain abdomen, burning sensation while urinating, or body aches?

3. Is anyone else in close contact having a fever?

4. Have you taken the COVID-19 vaccine?

Thank you for your response.

I have had a fever since today morning. It was a slight feverish feeling, but I took Paracetamol, and after taking Paracetamol, the fever increased. Fever seems to be concentrated on the head, and I am tired and have a hot feeling in the brain.

I suffer from an enlarged prostate, so I went to the hospital for a check-up. I have not taken any medicine for my prostate yet. There is no coughing, sore throat, and pain. I do not have any contact with other people except yesterday's hospital visit. I have taken both doses of the COVID-19 vaccine. I have not checked the temperature, but it is not very high.

#

From your description, it looks like flu or viral infection only, which you might have caught in your recent hospital visit. I suggest you follow these measures.

(Consult your specialist doctor, talk with them and take medications with their consent.)

1. Tablet Azithromycin 500 mg (antibiotic) once daily for three days.

2. Tablet Paracetamol 650 mg thrice daily for three days.

3. Tablet Ibuprofen 400 mg twice daily for two days (for headache).

Take these medicines, and you will be fine in the next three days. However, if your symptoms do not resolve by chance, please contact me again. We might need some blood tests to find the exact cause.

I hope I was helpful to you.

Hello doctor, I have a sore throat today. I could not get tablets Ibuprofen and Azithromycin, so I took only tablet Paracetamol. However, Paracetamol is making me tired. My fever has increased a bit. Can I get the other tablets tomorrow?

#

The symptoms you have are due to an acute infection in the throat. It will resolve in three to four days with the proper use of medicines and antibiotics. I suggest you start treatment advised to get an adequate response. Tiredness is due to fever and infection. It is common in such infections. Your symptoms will improve, but they will take time. Kindly start the medicines from tomorrow.

Should I take tablet Azithromycin in the morning or evening?

#

You can take it anytime during the day, but the best time is in the morning after breakfast.

|