Q. Will my fibular fracture heal properly?

Dr. Atul Prakash
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 30, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 07, 2021

I broke the tip of the fibula during an ankle sprain. The broken part is bean shaped. Will it heal properly? Will it cause any problem to me? I am on bed rest since ten days with a plaster on my ankle joint.

#

I have seen the x-ray (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• Yes, this is an avulsion fracture. This actually looks like an old fracture, as the margins are well rounded.
  • But no doubt that you have a small fracture in the fibula, and that bean shaped bone and the soft tissue are swollen, and hence rest is justified.
  • Do not expect the bean shaped bone to heal.

For further queries consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

What shall I do then?

#

• I will recommend that if you are in a full plaster and the leg is not swollen, then you could start bearing weight on the tip of the toes or the heel. Put more weight as much as the pain allows.
  • Once the pain is gone, get rid of the cast and do ankle strengthening exercises. Ice the area and keep it raised to avoid swelling.

For more information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

|