Q. I get recurrent folliculitis in my upper leg and pubic hairs. Please help.

Dr. Subhash Kashyap
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 21, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 02, 2020

I have recurrent folliculitis. The most common areas are in my upper legs and skin where my pubic hair lies. I hope you can help me out in explaining why this happens to me. I have this for almost two years now. I was given antibiotics once in the past.

#

Recurrent folliculitis occurs in people who has deficiency to fight staphylococcus aureus bacteria. These are small boils which occur repeatedly at multiple sites of the body. Antibiotic heals them but they again appear after a few weeks or days. It can develop any time during life and may vanish within a short period.

Repeated antibiotic courses has to be done but precautions which I am writing down if taken properly mitigate this problem. First thing is you have to take an antibiotic course for the presenting complaint. Take Amoxiclav 625 mg (Amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid) thrice daily for five days and Mupirocin ointment twice daily. This has to be continued for a longer period of up to 1 month. Apply it inside the nostril, in the axilla, in the pubic area, in umbilicus daily twice.

Use antibacterial soap like Cetrilak (Cetrimide). Do not touch the parts of the body repeatedly like scratching, as it also transmits this bacteria. In some people, if Amoxiclav does not work we give other antibiotics but you have to try this first.

Review after four weeks.

|