Q. I have pimple-like bumps in my pubic area. Could this be an STD?

Answered by
Dr. Suvina Attavar
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 23, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 28, 2021

Hello doctor,

I am a 25 year old male. Over the past two weeks, I have been having pimple like bumps in my pubic area. When I noticed the first one, I tried popping it, and it did not disappear, in fact, it got worse. Two more bumps appeared, less than a week after I tried popping the first one. Then I accidentally scratched those, and they started to bleed. I am wondering the cause of this. I am worried that it could be an STD. I hope it is only an ingrown hair, but I do not understand how they appeared altogether. I have not been sexually active for the past three months. One of them is on my penis shaft skin, but none of it is on my penis. I have attached a picture for your clarity. I have been masturbating a lot these past few weeks. Could it be due to that?



Welcome to

From your description and pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity), you seem to be having folliculitis. It is a bacterial infection of the hair follicle.

I suggest taking a course of an antibiotic, Cephalexin 500 mg, twice daily for five days.

You could also use Mupirocin ointment over the lesions, twice a day.

In addition, you could add betadine solution to your bathing water for three days.

Avoid shaving the region till the lesions heal.

Hope this helps. Take care.

For more information consult a dermatologist online -->

Hello doctor,

Thank you so much. So, it is not an STD?



Welcome back to

  • Yes, it is definitely not a sexually transmitted disease.

For further queries consult a dermatologist online -->

Thank you doctor,

Would it be alright if I just applied the ointment first, or should I start both the antibiotics and the ointment simultaneously? Is there a chance of this being something more serious than what you mentioned?



Welcome back to

I understand your concern, but it is nothing more serious.

  • Folliculitis is a common infection occurring in hairy regions.
  • It would be better to take the oral antibiotics, as you have multiple lesions, and it would help in a faster cure. Using only a topical medication will not be sufficient.

Hope this helps.

For more information consult a dermatologist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
How to prevent bleeding on brushing?

Ask your dentist to do cleaning of your whole mouth (dental scaling) to remove calculus and plaque from your teeth and gums ...   Read full

My gum is tender from an extraction done two weeks ago. Please help.

.. your history, there seems to be a sharp, bony edge there. You need to consult the dentist and get an X-ray done. I suggest you get an osteoplasty done, where the sharp edges would be smoothened. If you do not get the bony spicule smoothened, it w...   Read full

I have itchy scalp. Is it folliculitis?

.. checked your photos (attachments removed to protect patient identity). It is better you go for haircut and shave or trim beard. It may be due to folliculitis or fungal infection by the description. You can get it examined by a doctor or dermatol...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Dengue Fever: Common Questions Answered
Dengue fever is a self-limiting mosquito-borne viral illness that has taken a massive toll on public health. Read below ...  Read more»
Listeriosis - Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Listeriosis is a bacterial infection, that can result in severe complications like meningitis, sepsis, and even death. R...  Read more»
Myositis - Types, Symptoms, Causes, Treatment, and Prognosis
The term "myositis" refers to a set of uncommon diseases. To know more about myositis, read the full article below.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Dermatologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.