Q. I have pimple-like bumps in my pubic area. Could this be an STD?

Dr. Suvina Attavar
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 23, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 28, 2021

I am a 25 year old male. Over the past two weeks, I have been having pimple like bumps in my pubic area. When I noticed the first one, I tried popping it, and it did not disappear, in fact, it got worse. Two more bumps appeared, less than a week after I tried popping the first one. Then I accidentally scratched those, and they started to bleed. I am wondering the cause of this. I am worried that it could be an STD. I hope it is only an ingrown hair, but I do not understand how they appeared altogether. I have not been sexually active for the past three months. One of them is on my penis shaft skin, but none of it is on my penis. I have attached a picture for your clarity. I have been masturbating a lot these past few weeks. Could it be due to that?

#

From your description and pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity), you seem to be having folliculitis. It is a bacterial infection of the hair follicle.

I suggest taking a course of an antibiotic, Cephalexin 500 mg, twice daily for five days.

You could also use Mupirocin ointment over the lesions, twice a day.

In addition, you could add betadine solution to your bathing water for three days.

Avoid shaving the region till the lesions heal.

Hope this helps. Take care.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Thank you so much. So, it is not an STD?

#

• Yes, it is definitely not a sexually transmitted disease.

For further queries consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Would it be alright if I just applied the ointment first, or should I start both the antibiotics and the ointment simultaneously? Is there a chance of this being something more serious than what you mentioned?

#

I understand your concern, but it is nothing more serious.

• Folliculitis is a common infection occurring in hairy regions.
  • It would be better to take the oral antibiotics, as you have multiple lesions, and it would help in a faster cure. Using only a topical medication will not be sufficient.

Hope this helps.

|