Q. Is it compulsory to exclusively breastfeed our 10 months old baby at night?

Dr. Veerabhadrudu Kuncham
This is a premium question & answer published on May 16, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 14, 2021

Our baby girl is 10 months old, and so far, we have been only breastfeeding her along with semi-solid food. Sometimes, mother's milk is not enough, and we do not know any alternative food to give at night. Yesterday night also she was hungry and crying, we got confused and eventually gave her two biscuits. I read on the internet that biscuits are not good for infants, as they contain refined flour, high sugar, preservatives, etc. I also read that formula milk will make the baby get addicted to that, and then they prefer that over mother's milk. I read a book by a famous doctor, which suggested, longer the breastfed milk, smarter will be the baby. It is one of the key ingredients for a healthy brain. We are already giving her semi-solid foods like boiled rice with water, fruit juice, etc. We are avoiding salt and sugar almost completely. We want to provide the healthiest possible food for our baby. At the same time, when the mother's milk is not enough, we cannot allow the baby to starve. At night, I read that we should not give semi-solid food. In this case, what would be the best natural alternative for us? Is mom's milk only recommended during the night? Or can anything be done, so the baby feels full?

#

• Yes, biscuits have to be avoided as rightly mentioned. Formula milk can be given, but only when other homemade stuff is not available readily. There is no such thing as addiction to formula milk.
  • You can continue breastfeeding up to two to three years. There is no need to avoid salt and sugar completely. They can be given in appropriate quantities.
  • The best food is always homemade food along with breastfeeding. By one year, the baby is ready to take whatever an adult can take. And it is not necessary to give mother's milk at night.

Thank you, have a nice day.

For more information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

Thank you for the point wise clarification. Usually, one may get lost in lots of internet articles supporting and contradicting on the same topic. So, I have carefully chosen ones that they have some authenticity, not online opinion but shared by doctors, and explained with a logic behind it. How much salt and sugar is appropriate? As I read online, that there is a limit for salt, and that seems to be already fulfilled by mother's milk. So logically, why to give more? And would not that be harmful to the kidneys over time? And it also makes the baby prefer salted and sweet food, instead of healthier food. It is generally known that what we adults eat is already adulterated. Like vegetables and fruits with pesticides, and processed food with preservatives, high sugar, etc. So, do we have any list of food that is best avoided for babies? Can we give orange when the baby has a cold and cough?

#

• Salt and sugar are for getting a good taste in the food. So, it depends on what you prepare. Do not worry about very minute details like it is already present in the breastmilk.
  • All vegetables and fruits have to be given regularly. How you procure pesticide-free food is out of my scope. Organic food could be the solution.
  • It is just a myth, you can very well give orange during a cough and cold.

Thank you, and have a nice day.

For further queries consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

|